It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:54 pm

Reserve Desktop Space - Desktop Coral Alternative - NOW WSU

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
theonetrueace

Reserve Desktop Space - Desktop Coral Alternative - NOW WSU

Post by theonetrueace »

So I have been using Desktop Coral, but decided I needed something a bit more sophisticated given my setup. This app will work with multiple monitors, and let you specify multiple areas to reserve.

Code and Project
https://sourceforge.net/projects/workspaceutilities/
Last edited by theonetrueace on December 25th, 2014, 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
bek88

Re: Reserve Desktop Space - Desktop Coral Alternative

Post by bek88 »

Super Tool!

can you add option to minimize program after start or option to set appbars and exit?
theonetrueace

Post by theonetrueace »

Ok done.
bek88

Post by bek88 »

Thank you for the fast response! :)
theonetrueace

Post by theonetrueace »

Last month when I put this together I knew there was other stuff I wanted to do with it. One of the main things I wanted to do was give it window management capabilities. By that I mean being able to effectively position windows in a manor that is conducive to workflow, and be able to reliably place them in a quick manor. I was using an app called WinSplit for this and it does a great job but I wanted to cut a running app and flex my copypasta skills. So here we are. I renamed the app to Workspace Utilities and added the previously stated functionality.

tldr: Added window positioning and sizing management via hotkey.

[removed link]
Last edited by theonetrueace on December 25th, 2014, 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meaney

Post by Meaney »

Thank you for creating precisely what I've been searching for. This is a natural improvement on Desktop Coral, which doesn't support multiple monitors.

I have a problem with WU docking properly on my secondary monitors. Specifically, my left monitor is rotated to a portrait layout and the top of its desktop is higher than the top of the desktop on the primary central monitor. When I set WU to dock to the top of the left monitor, it docks at the height of the primary monitor, about 150 pixels too low in my setup.

Is there a way to get WU to recognise and adapt to the layout position and dimensions of non-primary monitors? You can see in the screenshot that my desktop, which is stretched across three monitors, is an odd shape with both monitors dipping below the primary desktop's workspace.

The App Sizer looks promising too, and may again be something I've been searching for (after trying MaxTo and the now defunct WinSplit Revolution) but it's a little difficult to use yet – the application window is not resizable and the scrollbox under the App Sizer tab is too compressed to be useful. The problem is easily solved with window resizing.

By the way, the Play/Pause button on the Space Reserver tab works but the icon is not toggling, as it does on the App Sizer tab.
Attachments
screenshot.27-08-2014 19.31.56.png
axolotl_soft

Post by axolotl_soft »

@theonetrueace: Holy cow! I've been fighting with DesktopCoral for about a year now, as I need to reserve space for two bars, and DesktopCoral often gets confused. AppBarCreator is 1,000,000 times easier! Thanks for the link!
theonetrueace

Post by theonetrueace »

@Meaney: Sry for the belated reply. Since originally posting this here I changed the name and upped it to SourceForge. I think I have your problem fixed. Please verify.

Code and Project
https://sourceforge.net/projects/workspaceutilities/

Direct Download to Executable
https://sourceforge.net/p/workspaceutilities/code/ci/master/tree/WorkspaceUtilities/bin/Debug/WorkspaceUtilities.exe?format=raw

@axolotl_soft: Thanks for the kind words. :)
Neocube

Re: Reserve Desktop Space - Desktop Coral Alternative - NOW WSU

Post by Neocube »

I know this is a VERY old topic but hoping the OP is still around to assist. There are not many apps that do what yours does and I thank you for that. I first tried Desktop Coral which is almost what I need but your multiple monitor support is where it's at! However, when I set the Size, albeit a value of 1 or 15, it applys, resizes, then resizes a little more, then a little more, etc until it just about eats all of my available screen space. Is this because I am trying to use it on Windows 11 or possibly something else? The only way it stops is if I hit the pause button or close the app. Unsure what to do at this point. Any assistance would be very much appreciated!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Reserve Desktop Space - Desktop Coral Alternative - NOW WSU

Post by Yincognito »

Neocube wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 4:59 am I know this is a VERY old topic but hoping the OP is still around to assist. There are not many apps that do what yours does and I thank you for that. I first tried Desktop Coral which is almost what I need but your multiple monitor support is where it's at! However, when I set the Size, albeit a value of 1 or 15, it applys, resizes, then resizes a little more, then a little more, etc until it just about eats all of my available screen space. Is this because I am trying to use it on Windows 11 or possibly something else? The only way it stops is if I hit the pause button or close the app. Unsure what to do at this point. Any assistance would be very much appreciated!
I'll let the developer of this app answer your question if he's still around, but in the meantime, you could check:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=43474
to see if it's enough for you, and if it isn't, make your opinion known in that poll in the hope that it will be improved someday.