It is currently April 18th, 2024, 2:57 pm

FileView plugin 2.1

Plugins and Addons popular with the Community
Brian
Developer

Re: FileView plugin 2.1

Post by Brian »

Virginityrocks wrote:I've noticed that when FileView accesses a folder (especially a folder containing many items) that has not been fully indexed by Windows, it causes Rainmeter to crash. For instance, my downloads folder contains over 1,000 files. When I scroll down the list quickly, it causes a crash. After I open the folder in Explorer and wait for the folder to finish loading all thumbnails, etc., fileview resumes and crashing stops. Is this a known issue, and is there an option to stop it?
This sounds like a Windows Indexing problem to me. Doing a quick search around the net results in various articles describing similar behavior with other programs as well. It seems as if Windows locks certain files (sometimes forcibly) while trying to index them. Typically indexing only takes a small amount of time, but it all depends on the amount of items being indexed, and their individual size (as well as their filetype).

I think you have 3 options to either fix this problem or disable indexing:
  1. Attempt to fix Windows Search with this fix.
  2. Try to rebuild your index. Open the Control Panel and click the "Advanced" button. Under "Troubleshooting", click on the "Rebuild" button. (This might be slightly different on different versions of Windows.)
  3. Turn off Windows Search. To do this, open "services.msc" (usually in your "windows\system32" folder). Scroll down, and double click "Windows Search". Then on "Startup Type", select "Disabled". From here I would suggest turning off indexing for each HD on your system. To do this, open up "My Computer", and right-click on "C:" and select "Properties". At the bottom of the dialog, make sure the "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" is unchecked. Do this for all your HD's. You may want to do Step #2 after this (because it deletes your index). Then reboot.

Don't worry, Windows Search will still work, but it might be a tad slower. I am not sure how often you use it, but I very rarely use it, and have had no problems finding things on the rare cases that I need to find something. This should also speed up your system.
Hope that helps.

-Brian
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

Rebuilding the index solved the problem. Thanks, Brian. :bow:
Droptop Four
Dropdown menu bar & app launcher for Windows & Rainmeter
ka05th30ry

Post by ka05th30ry »

Hey guys here's my idea: a photo slideshow viewer with buttons to change previous, next, play and pause. Also i would like to add buttons to change the ImagePath variable so that it points to a different path that the user types in. I also would like to add the availability to alter the frame of the photo viewer by way of a button click that triggers the opening of a file browser to select the desired frame. This would make the skin easier to use and highly customizable. If someone could give me some advice as to how to create these buttons and if this "FileView" plugin can be used in the implementation of it i would deeply appreciate it! Thanks :)
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

ka05th30ry wrote:if this "FileView" plugin can be used in the implementation of it
Sure, FileView can used to make slideshow skins. In fact there are several similar skins out there now that use FileView to displays in a "slideshow" fashion.

Here are a few (made by jsmorley):
http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=85077#p85077
http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91109#p91109

As for the rest of the functionality you described, it would probably be best to post something in the "Help: Rainmeter Skins" forum: http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

-Brian
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

Brian, for WildCardSearch= how do you search for multiple items? For example, I want to do a WildCardSearch of all items containing the words "Shark" OR "Cowboy". And, in another case, search items containing the words "Apple" AND "Bananas" (in any order)

Also, would you consider adding RegExpFilter to the options for mPath?
Droptop Four
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Virginityrocks wrote:Brian, for WildCardSearch= how do you search for multiple items? For example, I want to do a WildCardSearch of all items containing the words "Shark" OR "Cowboy". And, in another case, search items containing the words "Apple" AND "Bananas" (in any order)

Also, would you consider adding RegExpFilter to the options for mPath?
The only wildcards I am aware of are the * and ? wildcards. ? matches any character 1 time, while * matches any number of characters 0 or more times. I do not believe there are any logical AND or OR wildcards.

Virginityrocks wrote:Also, would you consider adding RegExpFilter to the options for mPath?
Possibly in the future, but I have no plans to do so at this time.

-Brian
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

Is there any way to prevent or some kind of way you can suggest to battle this problem with users with 150% or 200% DPI settings causing icons to become too big for the meters you've set for them?

I think Rainmeter had in a previous version scaled properly from DPI but I suppose this was "fixed", but this problem has been occurring ever since...

Droptop Four
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Is the icon file not saving correctly, or is it Rainmeter displaying the icon bigger than the size of the icon? Have you tried manually setting the W and H of the image meter?

-Brian
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

;-) You're the best.
Droptop Four
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

Is there a way fileview could in the future, somehow, preload all of the 'pages' of the folder? If I access a folder with fileview, then proceed to scroll, it treats each scroll as a new access to that folder, causing a noticeable delay. Once I've scrolled the folder once fully, the problem goes away (I assume that's because that information is saved to ram). But the first time I load and scroll a folder, there is a delay of 3+ seconds for each page of scrolling.