It is currently April 26th, 2024, 10:14 am

Drag and Drop Addon, Finally

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
dragonmage
Developer

Drag and Drop Addon, Finally

Post by dragonmage »

After long years of wishing for Drag and Drop support in Rainmeter I have found a program that we can use to simulate that functionality.

DropIt displays an image on your desktop that you can drop files and folders on and have various actions performed.
  • Move
  • Copy
  • Compress
  • Extract
  • Rename
  • Open With
  • List
  • Delete
  • Ignore
I highly recommend downloading the program and playing around with it to get ideas about how to incorporate it with your Rainmeter skins. Rules can be created to sort things in various ways.

I've modified the illustro Recycle Bin skin as an example. I also worked out a method for having DropIt automatically positioned correctly over top of the skin. There is some delay to the auto-positioning but it's probably the best we can accomplish. It shouldn't be much of an issue since most of us probably don't move our skins around often.

This skin uses a beta version of DropIt that the dev provided to me to test the Refresh procedure that I requested so that auto-positioning with Rainmeter could work. If you wish to wait for a release version it should be out soon.

Download illustro Recycle Bin Plus (It will install on top of your current illustro Recycle Bin.)

DropIt will be positioned on the upper portion of the skin to the left of the "Recycle Bin" label. I've included two DropIt profiles in this skin, one which sends dropped items to the Recycle Bin, the other Erases the files so that they are unrecoverable. You can switch profiles by clicking on DropIt and scrolling your mouse wheel. There is a visual difference between the two profiles, Recycle is just slightly darker than the rest of the illustro skin, while Shred is much darker.

DropIt is under active development and the dev has already added features that I have requested to allow for the auto-positioning. If you folks have any ideas for the program let me know and I will pass them along.
Kievnstavick

Re: Drag and Drop Addon, Finally

Post by Kievnstavick »

Really nice find! I just might incorporate it!
bojler

Post by bojler »

thank you, cant wait to try this in skins!
spchtr

Post by spchtr »

I'm curious, is there a way for Rainmeter to tell the state of a mouse button, during an OnMouseOver event? I know it can tell when you push it down, and when you push it up, but I want to know if it can tell that I've got it down when the mouse moves over a Meter. Also is there a way, other than going over a Meter to tell the Mouse's position on the screen?
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

spchtr wrote:I'm curious, is there a way for Rainmeter to tell the state of a mouse button, during an OnMouseOver event? I know it can tell when you push it down, and when you push it up, but I want to know if it can tell that I've got it down when the mouse moves over a Meter. Also is there a way, other than going over a Meter to tell the Mouse's position on the screen?
I don't think there is any way to access that information. What are you trying to accomplish?
spchtr

Post by spchtr »

I was thinking about having the meter, just below and ever so slightly larger than the dropit! drop icon. Or even on top of the drop icon, to where, when you have the mouse already down, and move the mouse over the meter, the meter get's out of the way so you can drop it on the drop icon. Actually think I found part of what I was looking for, there's a lua script to get the cursor position..

/script x,y=GetCursorPosition() ;
message(string.format("x%d y%d",x,y))

something like that for cursor position, so it knows which meter to move.

Then you let go of the thing you're draging, it drops it on the dropit!, and right after that, the meter is on top again, or even on your way out of the meter's bounding box it could move up. I've got a batch file, a shortcut, and nircmd, which in concert I can get to create a shortcut in a folder that's preselected by the batch file. Since there's a guy working on a file manager replacement, or something similar, I figure I can come up with a way to drop new launcher shortcuts into the interface. Still not sure if they're working on a drag and drop feature native to Rainmeter yet or not.
dyronl

Post by dyronl »

I'm sorry if this is technically a dead thread now, but since it is such a crucial addon I hope you'll forgive me asking if there's any other version of that file hosted somewhere because that link no longer works. This is my main issue with rainmeter so I am more than interested in what seemed to be a solution
alexandeu

Post by alexandeu »

Maybe I didn't read the guide correctly, or am just too stupid to figure it out, but:

Is there a way so that the Shortcuts DropIt makes don't have the ending ".exe - shortcut"?
That gets really annoying.
nev

Post by nev »

Sorry to drag up an old thread up, but any other threads i've run across that ask this question just refer back to this one. and the link here does not work.
any chance to get the file?
i know it's an old file, old version of rainmeter... but i hope it will give an idea how the two were linked.

thanks
exper1mental

Post by exper1mental »

Couldn't people just use AutoIt/AutoHotKey scripts or Command Prompt to move, copy, delete, rename etc. and a portable version of 7-Zip with its Command Line version for compressing and extracting?