jsmorley
Developer

Re: Speech Plugin

Post by jsmorley »

jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yes. It works just fine. I caution that this is not for the faint of heart. It involves messing around in your Registry, which should always be done carefully.

Follow the instructions in that link above. Find an installed voice in:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Voices\Tokens

Right click and "Export" the entire key under "Tokens" for the voice you want. Export this to SomeName.reg

Don't export the entire "Tokens" key, just the single voice you want under it:

1.jpg

Now open SomeName.reg in your text editor.

At two places in it, there will be a path to the key in the Registry. It will look like:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Voices\Tokens\MSTTS_V110_enGB_GeorgeM]

The bit you want to replace is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Voices\Tokens

Replace that with:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens

Do this in BOTH sections of the key that have that path.

Save the file, and double click it to add it to the Registry.

Now you can use that SelectVoices skin to show what voices are available to use with the Speech plugin for Rainmeter. In this example, Microsoft George would now appear and be supported.

I particularly prefer Microsoft Mark over the default Microsoft David Desktop as a male voice. Much more natural sounding and cheerful.

Note: If you change your mind, you can safely delete the new key created in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens, however be aware that you can't delete any of the keys there that are defaults for Windows, like Microsoft David Desktop or Microsoft Zira Desktop, or any voice that was in fact properly added as a part of a Language Pack, as those are "protected". That's a good thing in my view.

3.jpg

Yes, I have a formatting issue with short names in the skin. I'll work on that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

JPapavas wrote: January 28th, 2019, 2:46 pm -For Windows 10-
Open command prompt and type: dism /online /get-intl
That command prompt MUST be run as administrator. Otherwise doesn't work.
But do anybody know what this means:

Code: Select all

Installed language(s): hu-hu
  Type : Partially localized language, MUI type.
  Fallback Languages en-US
I'm interested into what the Partially localized language, MUI type. means. :confused:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Balala, I believe you might be able to support those Romanian and Hungarian voices if you follow the instructions in:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31161&p=158363#p158363

I'd be interested in your results if you decide to go that route.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: January 28th, 2019, 4:48 pm I'd be interested in your results if you decide to go that route.
Ok, I went and got listed both Szabolcs (the Hungarian guy) and Andrei (the Romanian guy):
Voices.png
But can't get none of them to speak. If I choose any of them in the skin and click Finish, still the default female voice is speaking (both Szabolcs and Andrei are males).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: January 28th, 2019, 5:07 pm Ok, I went and got listed both Szabolcs (the Hungarian guy) and Andrei (the Romanian guy):
Voices.png
But can't get none of them to speak. If I choose any of them in the skin and click Finish, still the default female voice is speaking (both Szabolcs and Andrei are males).
But Microsoft Mark works?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: January 28th, 2019, 5:10 pm But Microsoft Mark works?
No, nor him doesn't speak. If I select him, still the default (Zira I suppose) female voice is speaking.
One remark, don't know if this has too much importance, but there are two Davids and two Ziras. One named Microsoft David / Microsoft Zira, and the other Microsoft David Desktop / Microsoft Zira Desktop. Nor Microsoft David, nor Microsoft Zira don't work, but Microsoft David Desktop / Microsoft Zira Desktop are. Does this makes sense?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: January 28th, 2019, 5:18 pm No, nor him doesn't speak. If I select him, still the default (Zira I suppose) female voice is speaking.
One remark, don't know if this has too much importance, but there are two Davids and two Ziras. One named Microsoft David / Microsoft Zira, and the other Microsoft David Desktop / Microsoft Zira Desktop. Nor Microsoft David, nor Microsoft Zira don't work, but Microsoft David Desktop / Microsoft Zira Desktop are. Does this makes sense?
When you went to the Registry and exported a voice, you didn't by any chance export the entire "Tokens" key did you? You needed to just export the single voice key under that that you wanted to enable in the other Registry location.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm pretty sure that is what you did, and now you have duplicates. They can safely be removed. Keep the ones that are like Microsoft Zira Desktop, and remove the ones like Microsoft Zira.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I would go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens

And delete the keys for

Microsoft Zira
Microsoft Szabolcs
Microsoft Andrei
Microsoft Mark
Microsoft David

Then start over. Carefully follow the instructions in my post above.