It is currently April 26th, 2024, 11:43 pm

Plugin: Chameleon

Plugins and Addons popular with the Community
Seahorse

Re: Plugin: Chameleon

Post by Seahorse »

Arse! [MeasureBackground1][size=200][color=#FF0000],[/color][/size]210, you example solves it, death by comma... :o Thanks.
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

It's always the little things, that are easy to overlook! :)
Socks the Fox

Post by Socks the Fox »

Just figured I'd let everyone know I'm back to working on this!

I've got a few changes put together on GitHub, but won't be issuing a release until I've added the brightness palette options.

The two main changes thus far are:
1) Reduced color buckets. Instead of 4096 separate colors, there are only 64. This means Chameleon is more likely to pick a color where there are lots of similar shades (I.e. it handles gradients a bit better)
2) Adjusts fallback colors instead of forcing them to black or white. For some images, the foreground Chameleon goes with initially is juuust outside the accepted contrast rating. In 1.3, instead of going straight to the extreme, it'll blend the color it tried to pick towards the appropriate brightness, which means better color blending.

There are other changes but they pertain to my test app:
1) Fixed preview image scaling
2) Preview image is now shown with Chameleon's color selection instead of the full image's colors

On my to-do list is to finish adding a way to adjust some of chameleon's weights in the test app, which will make it a lot easier to test changes. After that, I can readjust the color selection algorithm to fix what the color reduction changed for some images, and finally I'll add the brightness palette options.
Author of Chameleon :: Like my plugin? Consider donating! I don't need much :3
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Socks the Fox wrote:Just figured I'd let everyone know I'm back to working on this!

I've got a few changes put together on GitHub, but won't be issuing a release until I've added the brightness palette options.
Looking forward to playing with it.
moshi

Post by moshi »

bug report: strange things happen when your base image file name (i only tested with the desktop wallpaper) contains special characters as the Euro symbol for example .
Socks the Fox

Post by Socks the Fox »

It looks like it's not liking when I have to convert the filename from UTF-16 (Windows and Rainmeter) to the multibyte string format (the image loading library). I'll have to see if I can get that fixed then! Shouldn't be too hard, both of the image libraries I use accept using pre-opened files so I can just open them myself using the Windows UTF-16 paths directly which should eliminate that problem.
Socks the Fox

Post by Socks the Fox »

I am one big step closer to 1.3! Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have everything together and uploaded. All the hard stuff in the core library is done, all I need is to update the plugin itself, test the changes, and update the documentation.

I'm still not 100% happy with the colors it chooses (it really hates white) but fixing the weights for one picture usually breaks another.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Socks the Fox

Post by Socks the Fox »

I've just finished uploading the latest version of Chameleon! You can find a link to it in my signature or in the first post.

Changes in this version:
  • Adjusted color selection algorithm a bit, and the color selection weights to match. There are still a few pictures I feel it could do better on though.
  • Softened the forced contrast to 'push' the colors it originally wanted towards better contrast instead of just picking white or black.
  • Added 'Light' and 'Dark' palettes which sorts the picked colors respectively.
  • Added a 'Luminance' "color" which gives a 0-1 scale of the average brightness of the image.
  • Added an 'Average' color for the whole image because I'm a lazy cheater
I chose to make 'Luminance' a scale instead of a binary 0 or 1 because I figured some people might prefer different thresholds for when to switch from bright to dark.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nice additions. Seems to work pretty well for me now.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
I haven't played much with Luminance yet, but I can see where that would be very useful indeed. Get that, and based on the value, It can decide if a "dark" or "light" color is going to work best and change those with !SetOption on the other measures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.