This is a simple plugin that will run an action when a HotKey is pressed and/or released. This plugin is non-blocking, meaning it won't block other programs from using a HotKey. The skin does not need focus for the plugin to work.
- HotKey - Key or combination of keys (separated by a space) that perform an "Action". You can use letters, numbers, or pre-defined keywords.
- KeyDownAction - Action to be performed when the hot key is pressed.
- KeyUpAction - Action to be performed when the hot key is released. In some cases keys may need to be released in reverse order of being pressed. This is due to Windows removing the key up message from the queue before the plugin reads it.
- ShowAllKeys - When , all keys pressed will be logged to the Rainmeter log. This can be useful when you aren't sure which hex code to use (especially for foreign keyboards). This also attempts to print the name of the key, but sometimes it gets it wrong. ie. The "Page Up" key will sometimes say "Num 9" - however, the hex code will be correct.
- You can represent any keyboard key by using its number equivilant (in either hex, octal, binary or base 10). See the list here. Example: which translates to "SHIFT A"
- This should work great on US keyboards. Non-US keyboards users might need to do some testing to see what physical key is mapped to a virtual-key. Use the list above to get any hex codes needed.
- If / / is used with its L/R variations, the L/R variations will be ignored.
- There are only 3 special toggle cases: number value of the plugin will be when the toggle key is in the "on" state, and when in the "off" state. , , and . The
- The number value of the plugin will always be except in the special toggle cases when the toggle key state is "on".
- The on some laptop keyboards cannot be detected.
- The mouse button's will not work by themselves, they require another non-mouse key to be used in combination with the mouse button.
- On some keyboards, when NumLock is off, the keys on the Numeric Keypad will represent other keys (usually the navigation keys, like "Home").
- On some keyboards, when HotKey may not work. Example: will not work because the plugin thinks the SHIFT and Numpad 6 need to be pressed, while the system thinks you pressed the Right Arrow key. is used with a Numeric Keypad key, the
- There may be cases where an elevated process will "block" the plugin from seeing a key being pressed.
- Stop - This stops the plugin from performing any actions. This is similar to disabling the measure. Example:
- Start - This tells the plugin to go ahead and perform the actions. Example:
- Toggle - If the plugin is stopped, it will start. If the plugin has started, it will stop. Example:
More information can be found here.
Changes can be found here.
Important: This plugin requires Rainmeter 3.0.2 (r2161) or higher to run. When packaging this plugin with your skin, make sure you set the "Minimum Rainmeter Version" to in the Skin Packager.
Below is a simple test skin I made to show how it works. At the top of the skin, there are 3 meters representing the 3 toggle keys. When the state of the toggle keys is "on", the meter text will be red - when the toggle keys are "off", it will be white. Below those meters will be 5 keys, that when pressed and released, will change the background of an image meter. There is also another test skin that shows how to use the "ShowAllKeys" option. (The plugin is included with the skin, or you can down the plugin here)
I have also included both 32-bit and 64-bit plugins in the folder.