It is currently April 20th, 2024, 12:42 am

[D2D] Resource usage v4.2 to v4.3

Backwards compatibility issues related to the conversion of Rainmeter to D2D.
SCR

[D2D] Resource usage v4.2 to v4.3

Post by SCR »

For what it's worth. I'm not sure if you are interested in this.

I have noticed a increase in CPU resource usage without Hardware acceleration and increased memory usage with Hardware Acceleration with the latest v4.3 beta. I do not see any visual difference in the meters under the new beta. Perhaps it's because I'm still using Windows 7.

Using System Explorer v7 for readings.
Using the same 25 meter Rainmeter layout for both.

I have returned to v4.2-r3088 for now.

==== v4.2-r3088 ====
CPU:
High = 2.1%
Average = 1.13% Over one hour.

Memory:
Peak = 71 MB
Average = 64 MB Over one hour (best Guess)

==== v4.3-r3250 ====
** Without Hardware Acceleration:

CPU:
High = 6.1%
Average = 4.29% Over one hour.

Memory:
Peak = 85 MB
Average = 78 MB Over one hour (best Guess)
================
**With Hardware Acceleration:

CPU:
High = 2.01%
Average = 1.14% Over one hour.

Memory:
Peak =101 MB
Average = 87 MB over one hour (best Guess)
=================================

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (build 7601) Service Pack 1 - English (1033)

System:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.6 GHz
Graphics: Intel HD 4600 (On Board)
Memory: 8GB

Rainmeter:
4.2.0 beta r3088 64-bit (Jun 15 2018) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\SCR\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\SCR\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\SCR\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini

Rainmeter 4.3.0.3250 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2018-09-25 7:26:49
Commit Hash: 2f494f27
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\SCR\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\SCR\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\SCR\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Brian
Developer

Re: Resource usage v4.2 to v4.3

Post by Brian »

Thanks for reporting.

We are aware of some differences in resource performance, but are focused on visual drawing differences for the time being. In the short term, Rainmeter will use more memory (especially when using images), but we will be working to improve CPU and memory usage throughout the beta cycle.

-Brian
theAzack9
Developer

Post by theAzack9 »

Btw,

If you could post a detailed list of the skins you are using (with download links if possible), then it will be simpler for us to narrow down what parts are slow such that we can optimize it. :)

~ theAzack9
SCR

Post by SCR »

Brian wrote:Thanks for reporting.

We are aware of some differences in resource performance, but are focused on visual drawing differences for the time being. In the short term, Rainmeter will use more memory (especially when using images), but we will be working to improve CPU and memory usage throughout the beta cycle.

-Brian
Thank you for your reply. In as much as you are already aware of the usage difference I apologize for the taking of your time. I didn't know if the information was relevant.
soyelrafa

Post by soyelrafa »

Brian wrote:Thanks for reporting.

-Brian
Hello! It's normal too a high usage of GPU without hardware acceleration enabled (I mean, with hardware acceleration disabled)? With high I mean that in 3.2 I have a GPU use of 0,1%, and in 3.3 I have a GPU use of 7,8 %, having a Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU.
Rainmeter 4.2.png
(Top 4.2, down 4.3).

Regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

soyelrafa wrote:Hello! It's normal too a high usage of GPU without hardware acceleration enabled (I mean, with hardware acceleration disabled)? With high I mean that in 3.2 I have a GPU use of 0,1%, and in 3.3 I have a GPU use of 7,8 %, having a Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU.
I hope you mean 4.2/4.3 and not 3.2/3.3! :)

It really depends on what skins you are running, and what those skins are doing.

I won't go as far as saying it is "normal". But in general, GPU usage will be higher with 4.3 vs 4.2. Rainmeter 4.2 was not hardware accelerated (meaning it was rendering with software and not hardware), so very little resources (if any) were used by the GPU. With hardware acceleration, there will be a lot of the rendering to the GPU in an effort to cut CPU usage. Without hardware acceleration, 4.3 will still use some GPU resources. It's a balance we will be working on throughout the 4.3 beta cycle. As we tweak the code and make optimizations, we are hopeful that CPU and GPU will both decrease.

You can turn off hardware acceleration in the Manage dialog under the Settings tab if you want/need to use less GPU.

-Brian
soyelrafa

Post by soyelrafa »

Brian wrote:I hope you mean 4.2/4.3 and not 3.2/3.3! :)

It really depends on what skins you are running, and what those skins are doing.

I won't go as far as saying it is "normal". But in general, GPU usage will be higher with 4.3 vs 4.2. Rainmeter 4.2 was not hardware accelerated (meaning it was rendering with software and not hardware), so very little resources (if any) were used by the GPU. With hardware acceleration, there will be a lot of the rendering to the GPU in an effort to cut CPU usage. Without hardware acceleration, 4.3 will still use some GPU resources. It's a balance we will be working on throughout the 4.3 beta cycle. As we tweak the code and make optimizations, we are hopeful that CPU and GPU will both decrease.

You can turn off hardware acceleration in the Manage dialog under the Settings tab if you want/need to use less GPU.

-Brian
Hello!

Yes, I don't know why below the image I write properly, but not in the text :???:

Thanks for your answer, in any case I opened a specific thread to show all the details I can get: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=29624

Regards.