It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:59 pm

[D2D][Resolved] Shape Meter ~ Path ~ 'ClosePath 0'

Backwards compatibility issues related to the conversion of Rainmeter to D2D.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Shape Meter ~ Path ~ 'ClosePath 0'

Post by jsmorley »

eclectic-tech wrote:Those monkey's needed something to keep them busy! :lol:

I already modified my skins to work as described in the manual in regard to FILL and CLOSEPATH.
Thanks for clarifying that for me. :thumbup:

Just wanted to make sure things work the same in both versions :great:
I think this is a case where 4.2 had a "bug" that we need to verify is fixed in 4.3, rather than breaking 4.3 to match.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Yes, 4.2 has the problem.
4.3 follows the behavior described in manual, so any correction should be done to 4.2 to make keep versions compatible. :17nodding
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

eclectic-tech wrote:Yes, 4.2 has the problem.
4.3 follows the behavior described in manual, so any correction should be done to 4.2 to make keep versions compatible. :17nodding
We will discuss this, but I'm hesitant to do minor version "releases" of 4.2 to address an issue that I suspect you might be one of the very few folks who have even run into. I'm hoping to start a "beta" of 4.3 reasonably soon, and I'd prefer to address it there. We will see, I'm open either way. Strictly speaking, yes. We should fix 4.2 and do a 4.2.1 release, but I wonder if this warrants that...

Getting a reliable "4.2" release code-base, with just this one "fix" applied, would be tricky. Our repository has moved on well into 4.3 versions with just boatloads of code changes, and the 4.2 ship has kinda sailed.

This is a very tiny potential "backwards compatibility" issue, since skins, like yours, designed with the broken functionality in it, would not work the same in either 4.2.1 or 4.3, but we always have to weigh the impact of fixing "bugs" against potential BWC issues. I think in this case fixing the bug, which is actually kinda ugly, if extremely rare, should take precedence. So I don't see BWC as an issue either way here, and am not convinced the bug is going to be common enough to warrant a release. Doing a 4.2.1 release would not in any way address BWC anyway.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Solved] Shape Meter ~ Path ~ 'ClosePath 0'

Post by jsmorley »

We talked about it and have reached this conclusion:

The problem was a "bug" in 4.2, which we have explicitly "fixed" in 4.3
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=150536#p150536
4.3 now works as expected, based on the functionality always defined in the manual.

We are not going to fix this bug in 4.2 and do a 4.2.1 release for several reasons:
1) Doing so would be difficult and a bit risky, as our repository code-base has been massively changed for 4.3
2) Doing so would actually introduce a very minor BWC issue, with skins currently written to explicitly or accidentally use the "broken" functionality in 4.2.
3) The chances that a skin exhibits behavior based on this bug is staggeringly unlikely. Yes, eclectic-tech has one, but he might literally be the only one...
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Solved] Shape Meter ~ Path ~ 'ClosePath 0'

Post by eclectic-tech »

I agree with your reasoning and decision; the odds are very small that I will see any issues reported.

I will be posting updated packages that will work the FILL as described in the manual, no matter which version of Rainmeter the end user is using. That should eliminate anyone experiencing unexpected behavior in these skins.

Thanks for working with me on this :thumbup: