It is currently July 21st, 2019, 9:33 am

New UsageMonitor plugin

Changes made during the Rainmeter 4.2 beta cycle.
User avatar
tjhrulz
Developer
Posts: 225
Joined: October 13th, 2016, 1:28 am
Location: Earth

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

tjhrulz » April 26th, 2018, 10:53 pm

SilverAzide wrote:Hello! I noticed the 4.2 docs have officially declared PerfMon and AdvancedCPU deprecated. One question... PerfMon has an option PerfMonDifference which defaults to 1. I've always used the option PerfMonDifference=0, which seems to be the way UsageMonitor behaves. Is there a migration path for PerfMonDifference=1?
It actually does the same as PerfMonDifference=1 automatically (Otherwise CPU stuff does not work because that is an incremental). The way it does it is that each performance counter defines what type it is and each type has a way to make it "human readable" thus what my plugin return is the value shown in the PerfMon.exe. If you want the raw value you can get that instead by setting RawValue=1.

If there is one that is not performing the way it should be give me the category & counter and I will look into it.
User avatar
SilverAzide
Posts: 569
Joined: March 23rd, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

SilverAzide » April 27th, 2018, 12:08 am

tjhrulz wrote:If there is one that is not performing the way it should be give me the category & counter and I will look into it.
OK! It looks like I had it backwards, but in any case all seems to be working fine just as you described.

However, I do have one question. In LogicalDisk, there are counters "% Idle Time" and its pseudo-inverse "% Disk Time". For these percentage counters, when I query the "_Total" instance (Index=0), I'm getting values like 600%... Percentages shouldn't be totaled, should they? For example, if I have two drives, one 100% busy (0% idle) and the other 100% idle (0% busy), shouldn't the total % Disk Time and/or % Idle Time values be 50%? This is what PerfMon shows, for what it is worth, but UsageMonitor is giving me 100% (100%+0%)... :???:
DeviantArt Gadgets More...
User avatar
raiguard
Posts: 633
Joined: June 25th, 2015, 7:02 pm
Location: The Sky, USA

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

raiguard » April 27th, 2018, 1:39 am

If AdvancedCPU and PerfMon are now 100% deprecated by this plugin, wouldn't it be prudent to put them in a "deprecated" section of the docs so people won't use them going forward?
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
User avatar
tjhrulz
Developer
Posts: 225
Joined: October 13th, 2016, 1:28 am
Location: Earth

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

tjhrulz » April 27th, 2018, 2:00 am

SilverAzide wrote:OK! It looks like I had it backwards, but in any case all seems to be working fine just as you described.

However, I do have one question. In LogicalDisk, there are counters "% Idle Time" and its pseudo-inverse "% Disk Time". For these percentage counters, when I query the "_Total" instance (Index=0), I'm getting values like 600%... Percentages shouldn't be totaled, should they? For example, if I have two drives, one 100% busy (0% idle) and the other 100% idle (0% busy), shouldn't the total % Disk Time and/or % Idle Time values be 50%? This is what PerfMon shows, for what it is worth, but UsageMonitor is giving me 100% (100%+0%)... :???:
Lol well that is a poor choice by MS to make _Total in some cases be an average, jsmorley and I are debating then just adding a Average option then to handle this.

raiguard wrote:If AdvancedCPU and PerfMon are now 100% deprecated by this plugin, wouldn't it be prudent to put them in a "deprecated" section of the docs so people won't use them going forward?
I have been arguing this with jsmorley for a while that they should be put in a subcategory under plugins so they don't accidently get used. However we have to remember that there are always going to be skins that use the olds way and people will tear them apart and expect to still be able to find the documentation for how they work.
User avatar
jsmorley
Developer
Posts: 19301
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Location: Fort Hunt, Virginia, USA

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

jsmorley » April 27th, 2018, 2:05 am

tjhrulz wrote: I have been arguing this with jsmorley for a while that they should be put in a different category so they don't accidently get used. However we have to remember that there are always going to be skins that use the olds way and people will tear them apart and expect to still be able to find the documentation for how they work.
I will look into making a sub-category of "Deprecated plugins" or some such on the Navigation. The structure doesn't easily support it while keeping it under "Plugins", so I need to chew on it a bit.
User avatar
jsmorley
Developer
Posts: 19301
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Location: Fort Hunt, Virginia, USA

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

jsmorley » April 27th, 2018, 3:21 am

raiguard wrote:If AdvancedCPU and PerfMon are now 100% deprecated by this plugin, wouldn't it be prudent to put them in a "deprecated" section of the docs so people won't use them going forward?
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/
User avatar
raiguard
Posts: 633
Joined: June 25th, 2015, 7:02 pm
Location: The Sky, USA

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

raiguard » April 27th, 2018, 3:49 am

”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
User avatar
SilverAzide
Posts: 569
Joined: March 23rd, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

SilverAzide » April 27th, 2018, 10:41 am

tjhrulz wrote:Lol well that is a poor choice by MS to make _Total in some cases be an average, jsmorley and I are debating then just adding a Average option then to handle this.
That would work fine! As it stands now, it would be a simple matter to do the math in the skin, but there's no easy way to get the number of instances (for the divisor). I hope you can get this additional option incorporated!

Edit: jsmorley noted that if you use "Name=_Total" specifically (instead of Index=0, etc.) the measure WILL return the correct value! No need for an Average option, in this case.

Not exactly sure how to document this weirdness, since now there's Index=0 and Name=Total that return totals and Name=_Total that returns an average (sometimes).... eeesh.
DeviantArt Gadgets More...
User avatar
tjhrulz
Developer
Posts: 225
Joined: October 13th, 2016, 1:28 am
Location: Earth

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

tjhrulz » April 27th, 2018, 2:21 pm

SilverAzide wrote:That would work fine! As it stands now, it would be a simple matter to do the math in the skin, but there's no easy way to get the number of instances (for the divisor). I hope you can get this additional option incorporated!

Edit: jsmorley noted that if you use "Name=_Total" specifically (instead of Index=0, etc.) the measure WILL return the correct value! No need for an Average option, in this case.

Not exactly sure how to document this weirdness, since now there's Index=0 and Name=Total that return totals and Name=_Total that returns an average (sometimes).... eeesh.
That is because Name=_Total gets you the instance called _Total and it is set by the counter (So it being an average for some counters is just stupidity but MS), Index=0 get an internal variable if the plugin that sums up all the instances bring tracked by a measure (So if you add idle to your blacklist then it will be excluded from Index=0 too)
User avatar
sephirotess
Posts: 329
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 6:45 am

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

sephirotess » April 28th, 2018, 7:44 am

Hi,

4.2.0 beta r3043 64-bit (Apr 26 2018)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit (build 15063 & another 16299)
Path: D:\Outils\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Sephi\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\Sephi\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
French language


I tried the skin "RainmeterProcess_1.0". Nothing is displayed and I keep getting this error message: "UsageMonitor crashed trying to update the counters".
UsageMonitor.jpg
I tried the examples of the documentations and it's about the same. Only some measures are recognized, as you can see in the screenshot.
Usage2.jpg
Skins with "AdvancedCPU" or "Perfmon" work, so it's not a problem with database of counters. I had the same problem with "NomFerp" O.O. Translating in French did not solve the problem :confused:.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.