It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:28 pm

New UsageMonitor plugin

Changes made during the Rainmeter 4.2 beta cycle.
fonpaolo

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

Post by fonpaolo »

Please jsmorley, take a look at my edit...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

fonpaolo wrote: edit to add: "Language", my Win 10 is installed with English as standard and Italian as alternative language... even if installed for Italy, Italian. :confused:
You are dead to me now...
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

jsmorley wrote:You are dead to me now...
It's not my fault, I think you (we) can only thank Microsoft.
During the installation, the default language was already Italian, recognized by the system.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I don't know exactly how it all works with MS, but I suspect that there is a difference when you download and install an Italian (or whatever) ISO and when you download an English ISO and install it with Italian as the default language.

We have detected a difference that exposes a bug in the counters in French when this is done. If French is "added" and made the default on an English installation, the bug isn't there. The root of it is that some counter "name" is not unique in the context of a given category in French, when logically, and programmatically, it must be... Merde!

So far, it is just French, but that is why we are asking for those that can, to replicate this with other languages.

We are looking at a fix for the French issue, but it's complicated. The problem is that we are using a built-in function to read the counters, and this bug causes that function to crash. To avoid that, we might have to write something from scratch to read the counters, but that is both a huge effort, and may not be as efficient. We are exploring...
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

When downloaded, Microsoft always stated that it was an Italian version, I never had an option to choose another language except the one I'm using. :confused:
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Trying to remember, I think it started when I installed FCU, I don't recall any "Language preference" before that...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

fonpaolo wrote:Trying to remember, I think it started when I installed FCU, I don't recall any "Language preference" before that...
Well, a bit hard to say. Windows makes it a bit opaque how all this works, as in their view, from a user-facing standpoint it doesn't make a bit of difference if you are installed as English with Italian added and made the default, or installed in Italian. The net result is the same in all circumstances that matter to a user.

Without the bug in the counters for the native French version of Windows, it wouldn't matter to us either.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Don't take me wrong, but, I must say that at every "major" update I hate it more and more...
Every time something new and unwanted is added and almost no options to disable them.
Waste of resources and nothing really useful, it's just "cool" if you don't know what they're doing.

Only a few very useful additions and many customizations have simply vanished. :17angry
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

fonpaolo wrote:Don't take me wrong, but, I must say that at every "major" update I hate it more and more...
Every time something new and unwanted is added and almost no options to disable them.
Waste of resources and nothing really useful, it's just "cool" if you don't know what they're doing.

Only a few very useful additions and many customizations have simply vanished. :17angry
Although this issue doen't have anything to do with Windows 10 as such.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

jsmorley wrote:Although this issue doen't have anything to do with Windows 10 as such.
You're right, this has nothing to do with Windows 10.
What I don't like is the constant effort to remove, hide, make it difficult if not impossible to disable or change most of the Windows settings.

An example? ...Cortana.
Even if disabled (in the Windows registry) there are at least three instances running, eating RAM and CPU. :17what

Usually I disable everything I don't use, I don't need, or simply it's just a useless waste of resources, even avoiding being loaded at startup.
With each update, some options have disappeared, some are now locked by Microsoft, some are still there, but you really can't change that much.

You can still change many settings, but now it's possible only if you edit the Windows registry.
To avoid changes, now you've to hack Windows...