It is currently April 25th, 2024, 1:04 am

With Google Reader, create custom feed from multiple sources

Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Community
figpetus

With Google Reader, create custom feed from multiple sources

Post by figpetus »

I spent some time searching today for a way to do this and I didn't find an answer.

Basically, I wanted to display a feed that consisted of all (or some) of my subscriptions in Google Reader, so I didn't need multiple feed readers open in Rainmeter. After googling around, I found 2 links that I took ideas from and combined them to get the effect I desired. First, http://rainmeter.net/cms/Tips-GoogleReaderRSS, which shows you how you can use Google Reader to parse any feed in an easy way. So, I started looking at Google Reader to see if it had a built-in option to output a collection of feeds contained within one feed. I then found this thread: http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6883, where smurfier shows you how to create a public feed using Google Reader. I ran into the same problem that quest_que_ce had with that solution, any of the Atom feed readers I tried with Rainmeter would only show the first result from that feed.

I searched some more, and came across the info on the first site again on a different page, which made me wonder what would happen if I took the atom feed that Google Reader would generate and sent that through the Google Reader parser trick? Everything went better than expected.

So, to recap:
Go to your Google Reader page and assign the feeds you want to combine to the same Folder. Change the Folder's privacy setting to Public. Go to the Folder's Public Feed page, copy the Atom feed url that's on the right, and paste it into the value for the URL variable in this code:

Code: Select all

[Variables]
URL=PASTE HERE!
GET=.*(?(?=.*<div class="item">).*<div class="item">.*<a href="(.*)">(.*)</a>.*<div class="item-info">.* on (.*)</div>)

[MeasureFeed]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\WebParser.dll
Url=http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/#URL#?n=8
RegExp="(?siU)<h1>(.*)</h1>#GET##GET##GET##GET##GET##GET##GET##GET#"
UpdateRate=1500

[MeasureLink1]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[MeasureFeed]
StringIndex=2

[MeasureTitle1]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[MeasureFeed]
StringIndex=3

[MeasureDate1]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[MeasureFeed]
StringIndex=4
It should work for up to 8 entries.

There might be an entirely easier/better way to do this, but like I said I couldn't find it. Hope someone finds this useful.
Falconer

Re: With Google Reader, create custom feed from multiple sou

Post by Falconer »

Nice! Very handy. :thumbup: I'll have to try this out sometime.
santa_ryan

Re: With Google Reader, create custom feed from multiple sou

Post by santa_ryan »

you can add more entries with a little bit or skin editing
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.