It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:17 pm

Quick Refresh Button for Testing Config Edits

Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Community
dragonmage
Developer

Quick Refresh Button for Testing Config Edits

Post by dragonmage »

This is just a quick button to refresh the skin you are working on after you make changes to the .ini .
This saves you from having to go through the rightclick menu to refresh, and you can comment it out to hide it, or delete it when you are finished making changes.

Code: Select all

;============================================================================================================================

;THIS IS A QUICK REFRESH BUTTON TO USE WHILE CREATING YOUR CONFIGS.  
;	ADD TO YOUR CONFIGS SO THAT YOU CAN REFRESH A SKIN WITHOUT USING THE RIGHTCLICK MENU.  (Just saves a couple clicks)
;	PUT AT END OF CONFIG SO IT WILL APPEAR ABOVE OTHER IMAGES.
;	RIGHTCLICK THE BUTTON TO REFRESH.
; 	EDIT X= AND Y= TO POSITION WHERE YOU NEED IT.

[MeterRefresh]
Meter=IMAGE
SolidColor=000000
x=1R
y=0r
H=20
W=20
RightMouseDownAction=!RainmeterRefresh

;============================================================================================================================
Of course you could edit it to use an image if you wanted, but this will work in any config, even if you don't have an image you want to use.
sgtevmckay

Re: Quick Refresh Button for Testing Config Edits

Post by sgtevmckay »

Ok, now how about an auto-refresh :?:

SOme times the auto update functions is not enough :!:
vitasimplex

Post by vitasimplex »

I'm a big fan of having this on every config. At first, this kind of thing is intimidating when you start out using Rainmeter, but it becomes a necessity once you start creating your own skins. What do you mean Auto refresh? Like after you make any edit? It seems like that is out of the realm of Rainmeter until it has an interface like the CD Art Display skin editor (which shows edits immediately) or Samurize (that shows edits prior to posting). Since we are using notepad or some other external application to do edits, it seems out of the domain of Rainmeter's current capabilities. Not sure.
BobbyEarle

Post by BobbyEarle »

This seems like a very cool tool, but I can't seem to make it work. Here is what I did:

1. Changed from IMAGE to STRING, and gave it a Text=refresh just to make it "handier"
2. I am playing with "Simple Rain", the clock-calendar skin. I copied the refresh button code to the sinple rain config directory, and...nothing when I click on it.

Maybe it's in the wrong place? Not too sure about how scope is handled by RM. Should the button be a part of the clock-calendar code, rather than a separate skin?

Thanks, and sorry if this is the wrong place for this.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

BobbyEarle wrote:This seems like a very cool tool, but I can't seem to make it work. Here is what I did:

1. Changed from IMAGE to STRING, and gave it a Text=refresh just to make it "handier"
2. I am playing with "Simple Rain", the clock-calendar skin. I copied the refresh button code to the sinple rain config directory, and...nothing when I click on it.

Maybe it's in the wrong place? Not too sure about how scope is handled by RM. Should the button be a part of the clock-calendar code, rather than a separate skin?

Thanks, and sorry if this is the wrong place for this.
I has to be part of the .ini file for the skin you want to refresh, not a separate .ini. If separate it will just refresh itself.
BobbyEarle

Post by BobbyEarle »

OK, that makes sense.

Thanks very much!
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

This is very helpful! :)
Thank you! :)

Edit: Spammer taken care of :D
Last edited by Samus Aran on November 22nd, 2009, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

Spammer taken care of ;)

And yeah, I use something like this every now and then. Especially if I've made a skin that will be refreshed often or that has the right-click disabled. Sometimes those two seconds you save can really keep you from going nuts! :panic: