It is currently April 18th, 2024, 5:42 pm

Convert a number range to another range, maintaining ratio

Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Community
StArL0rd84

Convert a number range to another range, maintaining ratio

Post by StArL0rd84 »

Imagine you have a counting calc or loop measure that operate within a certain number range. (1-100)
But you need a different range of numbers for a animation elsewhere in the skin (0-255), but synced to the first measure.
Instead of creating measures for each and every little thing, you can convert (1-100) to (0-255) with a formula.

The formula:
((x - in_min) * (out_max - out_min) / (in_max - in_min) + out_min)

And this is how it looks with the values inserted.
(([YourRangeMeasure] - 1) * (255 - 0) / (100 - 1) + 1)

Here i used the new range to control the alpha value of an image meter:
And we can round the number for accuracy. (Thank balala ;P)

Code: Select all

[MeterImage]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#Images\GradientPolar.png
ImageTint=255,0,0,(Round(([YourRangeMeasure] - 1) * (255 - 0) / (100 - 1) + 1))
DynamicVariables=1

And in the example skin i used the new range for the alpha value in the text meter. (20-255)
Download it and play with the values in the variables section.
TexasRanger.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by StArL0rd84 on May 1st, 2019, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
([mWorkTime] = 1 ? #Work# : ([mEnergyLoss:%] >= 70% ? #Chillmode# : </>))
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Convert a number range to another range, maintaining ratio

Post by balala »

Good point, but I have a suggestion here.
In such cases, when you're using the calculated value into an option which needs integer value (like ImageTint or FontColor), I'd round the calculated value, using a Round function. For example in the code of the uploaded skin, I'd replace the existing FontColor option of the [Text] meter (FontColor=255, 255, 255, (([MeasureRange] - #in_min#) * (#out_max# - #out_min#) / (#in_max# - #in_min#) + #out_min#)) with something like the following one: FontColor=255,255,255,(Round(([MeasureRange] - #in_min#) * (#out_max# - #out_min#) / (#in_max# - #in_min#) + #out_min#)).
Yes, this doesn't have too much importance, because in such cases, the not integer value is converted to integer, but just to be a little bit more precise.
StArL0rd84

Post by StArL0rd84 »

balala wrote: May 1st, 2019, 6:49 pm Good point, but I have a suggestion here.
In such cases, when you're using the calculated value into an option which needs integer value (like ImageTint or FontColor), I'd round the calculated value, using a Round function. For example in the code of the uploaded skin, I'd replace the existing FontColor option of the [Text] meter (FontColor=255, 255, 255, (([MeasureRange] - #in_min#) * (#out_max# - #out_min#) / (#in_max# - #in_min#) + #out_min#)) with something like the following one: FontColor=255,255,255,(Round(([MeasureRange] - #in_min#) * (#out_max# - #out_min#) / (#in_max# - #in_min#) + #out_min#)).
Yes, this doesn't have too much importance, because in such cases, the not integer value is converted to integer, but just to be a little bit more precise.
Astute observation balala, sharp as always ;P
I have updated the skin and documentation with your suggestion.
Thank you
([mWorkTime] = 1 ? #Work# : ([mEnergyLoss:%] >= 70% ? #Chillmode# : </>))
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

StArL0rd84 wrote: May 1st, 2019, 7:00 pm Astute observation balala, sharp as always ;P
I have updated the skin and documentation with your suggestion.
:thumbup: :great: