It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:58 am

VU meter for audio help

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Cellinarac

VU meter for audio help

Post by Cellinarac »

ok, this is another part I have been trying to get working on a custom full desktop I have been working on for a while now. I see so many VU meters/graphical EQs?( not entirely sure if they are called VU or EQ because I see them referred to as both a lot) out there, but I am trying to use a very specific image type for mine that detects audio, the audio detection part I have got working with a few, but I just can't get this one to display correctly. I am posting an animated gif of it and what I am trying to do is get it so that the 3 "bars" are "synced" with music and other audio like most VU's/EQs? are.
I have only been on these forums for a couple days now, but I must say, this is a very helpful group lol, wish I had joined much sooner...
Audio Meter.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cellinarac
CyberTheWorm

Re: VU meter for audio help

Post by CyberTheWorm »

If you go here there is a sample of a LR eq meter https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/audiolevel/
I would then add another meter below it using Flip=1 to flip it upside down.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Cyber pointed you in the right direction.

Here is a sample code to show 7 different images based on RMS values. The images are in @Resources\Kit folder of your skin (were made from the GIF you posted). You can adjust the values in the main audio measure to get the response you want.

The code using IfConditions to determine which image to display.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=25
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1

[measureAudioRaw_Out]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=AudioLevel
Port=Output
FreqMin=20
FreqMax=18000
Sensitivity=35
RMSAttack=10
RMSDecay=250
RMSGain=1.5
; PeakAttack=10
; PeakDecay=250
; PeakGain=1.5

[measureAudioOut_RMS_SUM]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=AudioLevel
Parent=measureAudioRaw_Out
Channel=Sum
; Type= 'Peak' or 'RMS'
Type=RMS
IfCondition=(#CurrentSection#<=0.05)
IfTrueAction=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00001.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition2=((#CurrentSection#>0.05)&&(#CurrentSection#<=0.18))
IfTrueAction2=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00002.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition3=((#CurrentSection#>0.18)&&(#CurrentSection#<=0.34))
IfTrueAction3=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00003.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition4=((#CurrentSection#>0.34)&&(#CurrentSection#<=0.50))
IfTrueAction4=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00004.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition5=((#CurrentSection#>0.50)&&(#CurrentSection#<=0.68))
IfTrueAction5=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00005.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition6=((#CurrentSection#>0.68)&&(#CurrentSection#<=0.84))
IfTrueAction6=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00006.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition7=((#CurrentSection#>0.84)&&(#CurrentSection#<=1))
IfTrueAction7=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00007.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfConditionMode=1

[MeterImage]
Meter=Image
ImageName=audiometer00001.png
Path=#@#Kit\
DynamicVariables=1
Image pngs
audiometer00001.png
audiometer00001.png
audiometer00002.png
audiometer00002.png
audiometer00003.png
audiometer00003.png
audiometer00004.png
audiometer00004.png
audiometer00005.png
audiometer00005.png
audiometer00006.png
audiometer00006.png
audiometer00007.png
audiometer00007.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cellinarac

Post by Cellinarac »

well, I kind of jumped the gun and had posted it working, I meant that that would be awesome, however after copying your code and putting the images in @resources\kitt... nothing displays at all lol so I must have goofed somewhere...

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=25
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1

[measureAudioRaw_Out]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=AudioLevel
Port=Output
FreqMin=20
FreqMax=18000
Sensitivity=35
RMSAttack=10
RMSDecay=250
RMSGain=1.5
; PeakAttack=10
; PeakDecay=250
; PeakGain=1.5

[measureAudioOut_RMS_SUM]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=AudioLevel
Parent=measureAudioRaw_Out
Channel=Sum
; Type= 'Peak' or 'RMS'
Type=RMS
IfCondition=(#CurrentSection#<=0.05)
IfTrueAction=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00001.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition2=((#CurrentSection#>0.05)&&(#CurrentSection#<=0.18))
IfTrueAction2=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00002.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition3=((#CurrentSection#>0.18)&&(#CurrentSection#<=0.34))
IfTrueAction3=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00003.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition4=((#CurrentSection#>0.34)&&(#CurrentSection#<=0.50))
IfTrueAction4=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00004.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition5=((#CurrentSection#>0.50)&&(#CurrentSection#<=0.68))
IfTrueAction5=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00005.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition6=((#CurrentSection#>0.68)&&(#CurrentSection#<=0.84))
IfTrueAction6=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00006.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfCondition7=((#CurrentSection#>0.84)&&(#CurrentSection#<=1))
IfTrueAction7=[!SetOption MeterImage ImageName audiometer00007.png][!UpdateMeter MeterImage][!Redraw]
IfConditionMode=1

[MeterImage]
Meter=Image
ImageName=audiometer00001.png
Path=#@#Kit\
DynamicVariables=1
{EDIT}
I now have it fully working! I found the mistake, I had the saved Images under the wrong skin folder. I have one folder for the voice module and another for the desktop, buttons and other gauges. lol, I feel dumb now...
thank you so much! it is working perfectly after tweaking a few values.
Last edited by Cellinarac on May 21st, 2017, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cellinarac
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Did you 'Refresh All' after copying the images and creating the skin?
You have to do that for Rainmeter to see the new images and skin.

The code works... so that is all I can think you may have missed...

Check the !Log and look for error messages, this will tell you what is wrong in many cases.

EDIT: The path for the images I used is '@Resources\Kit' not '@Resources\Kitt' that you said you used... correct the PATH= in the code to match where you put the images.
Cellinarac

Post by Cellinarac »

eclectic-tech wrote:Did you 'Refresh All' after copying the images and creating the skin?
You have to do that for Rainmeter to see the new images and skin.

The code works... so that is all I can think you may have missed...

Check the !Log and look for error messages, this will tell you what is wrong in many cases.

EDIT: The path for the images I used is '@Resources\Kit' not '@Resources\Kitt' that you said you used... correct the PATH= in the code to match where you put the images.
It was "user error". I edited my previous post to explain what happened (face palm).. I feel stupid now lol.
Thank you sooooo much... this is working perfectly now after a few tweaks
Cellinarac
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

No problem!

Looks interesting! You should consider Share your Creation when you finish the Kitt Car suite!
Bekarfel

Post by Bekarfel »

To answer the unasked question of is it VU or EQ, it is a VU meter, (although not technically one, it can be configured to exhibit the behavior of a VU meter). An EQ is an equalizer, which is a device that adjusts the volume of frequencies. A graphic equalizer is not an image based equalizer. It's a device that has the audio signal sent to a bank of filters, each one adjusted by its own slide control to boost or reduce the frequency response, so the sliders or knobs resemble a graph of the equalizer's frequency response.
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...
Cellinarac

Post by Cellinarac »

eclectic-tech wrote:No problem!

Looks interesting! You should consider Share your Creation when you finish the Kitt Car suite!
I plan to share it once it is done and packaged. I have also been working on an Iron Man one for a friend, though I have been able to find most of what I needed for it in other packages and then just rip tham apart and go off that, this one however I couldn't find ANYTHING for other than a small VU meter that didn't fit to well with my desktop lol. I have also added a couple mouse commands to the VU meter so that a left click has KITT identify himself and the "I am the voice of the Knight Industries Two Thousand. K.I.T.T. for easy reference, Kitt if you prefer." and a middle click gives another saying, for now it's "I am the Knight industries 2000,My serial number is Alpha Delta 227529, I am unauthorized to allow access to my central processing unit" both sound files are from the actual show because I also wanted this to sound like the real thing lol
desktop.gif
sorry, couldn't find a "free" video to gif that doesn't have a "watermark" lol
Cellinarac
Cellinarac

Post by Cellinarac »

if you want to view it with sound, here is the link to my youtube video
https://youtu.be/OSRyxlbTbTI
Cellinarac