It is currently April 16th, 2024, 8:16 am

Change Default editor

Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Community
cantidog

Re: Change Default editor

Post by cantidog »

jsmorley wrote:
From the Rainmeter context menu, if you say "Edit Settings", that loads Rainmeter.ini in your default text editor, so in most cases you shouldn't really need to go "find" it.

Using RainBrowser and using "Edit Settings" under "Global Actions" does the same thing.
Unfortunately, I came across one of those rare exceptions. Instead of adding the proper path to Notepad++.exe, I had put the path to Rainmeter.exe :oops:

An understandable mistake when watching three noisy children. It caused a second iteration of Rainmeter to launch whenever I clicked on "edit settings" or "edit skin". I did manage to manually locate the .ini file and correct my mistake successfully.
Daimondx

Post by Daimondx »

There are a few different ways, that’s a way to make rainmeter itself open it. But there are ways to change the default editor for everything on your computer to what you want for most programs. Now these links many deal with Notepad++ as that’s what I use, but they are ways for other notepad programs to work same way, just have to google them, and some work in same manner as this one.

This one is method I used and worked for me.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12617/how-to-replace-notepad-in-windows-7/

These method people say work but I could not get to work quite right, so used above.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/notepad-plus/index.php?title=Replacing_Notepad
OH SNAP998

Post by OH SNAP998 »

also you can right click an .ini file and say "open with". then in the future ini files will always open with what you select. much easier IMO.
no power in the verse can stop me...
moshi

Post by moshi »

OH SNAP998 wrote:also you can right click an .ini file and say "open with". then in the future ini files will always open with what you select. much easier IMO.
Rainmeter default editor =/= Windows default editor
it overrides the Windows settings.
Mr.Sadistic

Post by Mr.Sadistic »

Win7...
right click on an .ini, select "properties".....about 3rd line down says "Opens with: [box w/ name of program] [CHANGE]"
CHANGE being a button, click there and select program of your choice.....

@moshi : it worked in win7....they always open in np++ from rainmeter manager/ or right click context menu....and I have never changed the setting in Rainmeter....
moshi

Post by moshi »

yes, this is how Windows is supposed to work.

if you want a different editor from Rainmeter's right-click menu though, you use the Rainmeter setting.