It is currently October 19th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Troubleshooting AudioLevel plugin

Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Community
Active Colors

Troubleshooting AudioLevel plugin

Active Colors » May 23rd, 2016, 10:48 am

Troubleshooting AudioLevel plugin:
[Last update: 10 April 2018]

1. Check this example skin to be sure the problem is not on a skin level: Example Audio Level Spectrum.rmskin

2. The bars might not react with a low volume level of master. Check the volume mixer setting and see if master sound is not set to a low volume. If you have it low then push the volume up (higher than 50%) and see if your visualizer starts to react.

3. Are you sure your default audio device is what you think it is? Go to Control Panel -> Manage Audio Devices. In the Playback tab there should be a list of audio outputs, pick the one that's actually connected to your output hardware and set that as the default. Restart Rainmeter.

4. Try running in stereo 48khz if possible.

5. Open this skin to check your audio device: Audio Device Information.rmskin

6. Try to manually put the ID of your device right into your visualizer skin.

7. There's a known issue where the loopback client will fail to initialize if the device is running in WASAPI exclusive mode. Make sure none of the devices are able to take exclusive control of the stream. One way to prevent apps taking exclusive control is to right click on the volume icon, select "Playback Devices", pick your device, right-click and do Properties, look in the Advanced tab, and disable "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device". Restart Rainmeter. Some details in here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd370844%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

8. Something might happend to your rainmeter copy, so performing Complete Rainmeter Uninstall is worth trying to be sure you are running clean version of rainmeter.

9. If nothing helps, then go into Rainmeter Settings (right click, Rainmeter->Manage, pick Settings tab) and enable "Debug mode" and "Log to file" in the Logging section, then try refreshing the visualizer skin and post the log into your topic.

10. Update or reinstall your sound device drivers. It will never hurt.

Other solutions or information found by folks.
Check these topics as well to see if you face similar issues:

1. Issue with a Razor audio device.

2. If bars are moving strangely this is the explanation.

3. If you were changing your HDD, or moving your Rainmeter folder from another device/PC, or using any backup software (like TrueImage) check for the ownership issue.

4. Having a buzz? Check this buzz fixer and this one.

5. Experience high CPU performance using AudioLevel plugin? Check this tip.

6. Issue with a Nahimic audio device.

7. If it is another program (Sonic, etc.) look at options to disable it at startup and set the output to DirectSound (no wasapi).

8. If you run Windows 10 spring creators update, make sure you do not have disabled mic and webcam access in the privacy settings as they might run from same device.
Active Colors

Re: Resolve your AudioLevel plugin issue

Active Colors » May 23rd, 2016, 10:56 am

Last update: April 10, 2018
Changelog:
April 10, 2018
- Added solution for shared devices based on this post.
- Added solution about Nahamic software based on this post.
- Other info and minor changes.
May 26, 2016
Added link to the workaround about increased CPU usage using the plugin.
May 25, 2016
- Added recommendation to update and reinstall sound drivers.
May 23, 2016
Updated the troubleshooting info.
- Reordered the list to a more logical order
- Renamed this topic with a better title
previous: Resolve your AudioLevel plugin issue
new: Troubleshooting AudioLevel plugin
- Added new tip about master volume sent by eclectic-tech
Info:
Since the AudioLevel has become one of the most popular topics on the forums, I came to a decision to form a list with known problems and solutions for this plugin I constantly see on the forums. Feel free to give the link to this topic to anybody having troubles with the AudioLevel plugin. I will be updating this list when I see another discussed problem/solution.

If you have any suggestions about improving this list or have more explanations worth adding to this list post them here or send me a pm.

(I personally remember there was an issue using AudioLevel plugin with one particular antivirus software, but I can't find the discussion about it, thus I can not add information about this issue currently.)
dgrace
Developer

Re: Resolve your AudioLevel plugin issue

dgrace » May 23rd, 2016, 1:39 pm

Thanks AC.
mikehmikeh798

Re: Troubleshooting AudioLevel plugin

mikehmikeh798 » August 5th, 2018, 8:45 pm

when sound is playing the bars are not moving and i think it is because in he settings it is not allowing me to select an audio device to use. why is this and can you help me fix my problem
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

eclectic-tech » August 6th, 2018, 2:11 am

mikehmikeh798 wrote:when sound is playing the bars are not moving and i think it is because in he settings it is not allowing me to select an audio device to use. why is this and can you help me fix my problem
The plugin uses your default audio device, generally, you do not need to select a device ID for visualizers to work.

Before changing the skin, I would suggest checking several other possible issues:
Are you seeing any error messages in the Log? If so, post them here...
Have you check the playback volume levels for Rainmeter and your media player and make sure they are not muted?
Does the test skin in the first post of this thread work?

You can add ID=[i]{....cc-b7f6-4b22-8a98-24f920c.....}[/i]
using the device ID for your desired device to the parent audio measure, but I do not believe that will fix your problem.
DoomiN

DoomiN » August 11th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Hi, I have a problem with the visualizer. When I listen to music through headphones, everything is ok. But when the sound is played through the laptop speakers, the visualizer reacts badly, practically does not show the low tones. It is less sensitive. When I increase drastically the sensitivity, low tones show up, but that does not make sense, because then all bars are always on top. Does anyone know the solution to this problem? I guess it's something with speaker settings, I tried to change something but no effects.

[EDIT]

As you can see, half don't react :/