It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:07 pm

!About parameters

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Codger

!About parameters

Post by Codger »

Not sure where to put this but wanted to mention that !About is not just limited to the tabname as the manuals say but accepts all the same options as the !Manage bang.
[hr][/hr][hr][/hr]
"If you are the smartest one in the room, you are in the wrong room."
Brian
Developer

Re: !About parameters

Post by Brian »

Hmmm. Not sure what you are seeing, but the !About bang only accepts the tab name as a parameter.

Where the !About bang is invoked:
https://github.com/rainmeter/rainmeter/blob/master/Library/CommandHandler.cpp#L719
Which calls this piece of code: https://github.com/rainmeter/rainmeter/blob/master/Library/DialogAbout.cpp#L63-L85

-Brian
Codger

Post by Codger »

Brian wrote:Hmmm. Not sure what you are seeing, but the !About bang only accepts the tab name as a parameter.

Where the !About bang is invoked:
https://github.com/rainmeter/rainmeter/blob/master/Library/CommandHandler.cpp#L719
Which calls this piece of code: https://github.com/rainmeter/rainmeter/blob/master/Library/DialogAbout.cpp#L63-L85

-Brian
Don't take my word for it.
[!About Skins #CURRENTCONFIG# #CURRENTFILE#]
take you right to viewing the variables of the current skin.
Screenshot (11).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[hr][/hr][hr][/hr]
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Doesn't work for me. It opens the skins tab correctly, but does not highlight the skin.

-Brian
Codger

Post by Codger »

Brian wrote:Doesn't work for me. It opens the skins tab correctly, but does not highlight the skin.

-Brian
I'm running 4.0 if that helps.

So for you, the extra parameters don't error it out but don't work? Now we just need someone it errors out for. We'll have all our bases covered. :)
[hr][/hr][hr][/hr]
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Codger wrote:I'm running 4.0 if that helps.
Doesn't matter what version, the About dialog has never worked this way.

What is most likely happening in your case is that you already have the !About dialog open on your desktop with the Skins tab open and some skin selected in the list. Then when you execute the !About Skins ... bang with extra args, it just brings the dialog topmost and 'appears' to have selected the correct skin. But it is an illusion since you had already selected the skin previously. Completely close Rainmeter and try it...it will not work.

Also, there is no error displayed when extra parameters are sent to this bang.

-Brian
Codger

Post by Codger »

Brian wrote:Doesn't matter what version, the About dialog has never worked this way.

What is most likely happening in your case is that you already have the !About dialog open on your desktop with the Skins tab open and some skin selected in the list. Then when you execute the !About Skins ... bang with extra args, it just brings the dialog topmost and 'appears' to have selected the correct skin. But it is an illusion since you had already selected the skin previously. Completely close Rainmeter and try it...it will not work.

Also, there is no error displayed when extra parameters are sent to this bang.

-Brian
You're good. That's exactly what is going on. Damn, thought I had advanced the cause a tiny bit. :)
It notice it says 'developer' on your tag. Any chance of adding that in the next version? I'll probably be the only one to use it but I do like watching the variables.
[hr][/hr][hr][/hr]
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Codger wrote:Any chance of adding that in the next version?
Probably not anytime soon since it would take rewriting/redesigning how parameters are sent to the About dialog. It isn't a huge task, just need to think about it carefully to preserve backward-compatibility which is our main priority so that older skins work properly.

I will definitely keep this on the radar though since it can be helpful while debugging skins.

-Brian
Codger

Post by Codger »

Brian wrote:Probably not anytime soon since it would take rewriting/redesigning how parameters are sent to the About dialog. It isn't a huge task, just need to think about it carefully to preserve backward-compatibility which is our main priority so that older skins work properly.

I will definitely keep this on the radar though since it can be helpful while debugging skins.

-Brian
It's really just an extra click or two on our end so it's not like a big deal. But if the change comes up...

And thanks for figuring out the mystery.
[hr][/hr][hr][/hr]