It is currently August 20th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Working with the HWiNFO plugin

Our most popular Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Team and others
Asagrim

Re: Working with the HWiNFO plugin

Asagrim » February 22nd, 2016, 1:28 pm

Thank you for the reassurance. I had some concerns about publishing a skin based on a plugin that required everyone to run a 3rd party application and code editing - that requires a certain mileage in PC use - just to get CPU temperature values, but if you say that that's not the case, I'll gladly go ahead and use it.
exper1mental

exper1mental » February 22nd, 2016, 1:52 pm

Asagrim wrote:Thank you for the reassurance. I had some concerns about publishing a skin based on a plugin that required everyone to run a 3rd party application and code editing - that requires a certain mileage in PC use - just to get CPU temperature values, but if you say that that's not the case, I'll gladly go ahead and use it.
I recommend you take a look at Simple Perf Meters by TGonZo. With his suite the end-user can modify the necessary IDs from within Rainmeter skins (although it still requires a PC user skilled enough to know how to use HWiNFO Shared Memory Viewer to retrieve the necessary codes). It is a lot more time consuming for the you the coder to set things up this way but if you really want to minimize the need for people to change stuff "under-the-hood" then it might be the way to go.

The Entry and Sensor IDs for CPU temperatures as far as I am aware are the same from computer to computer. However, different computers have a different number of cores and hence a different number of CPU core temps (for example, my i7-3630QM has 4 cores so it has 4 CPU temps but because of hyperthreading it looks like an 8-core with 4 temps). As I said before I would recommend looking at Simple Perf Meters to see how TGonZo handled this.
Asagrim

Asagrim » February 22nd, 2016, 2:32 pm

I already have my own configurator skin (2.4k lines and counting, still incomplete) for my skin suite (see my signature for a desktop screenshot) but thank you for the suggestion! It's Open Hardware Monitor I intend to replace with HWiNFO. I never had any issues with it, but it seems to be incompatible with Windows 10.

exper1mental

exper1mental » February 22nd, 2016, 3:46 pm

Asagrim wrote:I already have my own configurator skin (2.4k lines and counting, still incomplete) for my skin suite (see my signature for a desktop screenshot) but thank you for the suggestion! It's Open Hardware Monitor I intend to replace with HWiNFO. I never had any issues with it, but it seems to be incompatible with Windows 10.

Ah I see. Do you have a relatively new computer (2015 or newer)? I'm guessing you already tried compatibility mode?

I googled and saw a post on TomsShardware about how someone running the program on Windows 10 with an Intel Skylake processor who couldn't get CPU temps to work most probably because OHM hasn't been updated since Dec 2014 and doesn't support the new hardware.

Unless he's lying or confused about his OS you should be able to get OHM to run if nothing else. Still, unless the dev comes back and updates it HWiNFO is definitely a better way to go.

Anyways, good luck with you hardware monitor! :D
Asagrim

Asagrim » February 22nd, 2016, 4:16 pm

I personally never had any issues with OHM, I just see other people saying they had and jsmorley also removed the link to the plugin saying it would be unreliable and outdated. I would prefer to continue using OHM, since copypasting a device name is a lot easier to accomplish than searching for an ID through a 3rd application.

I'm wondering if there wouldn't be an easier way to retrieve these IDs, even automatically. I mean like based on a string search. "CPU [#0]" will always be "CPU [#0]" no matter the make and model, "total cpu usage" will always be "total cpu usage", and "current" will always be "current", and so on.
exper1mental

exper1mental » February 22nd, 2016, 6:49 pm

Asagrim wrote:I personally never had any issues with OHM, I just see other people saying they had and jsmorley also removed the link to the plugin saying it would be unreliable and outdated. I would prefer to continue using OHM, since copypasting a device name is a lot easier to accomplish than searching for an ID through a 3rd application.

I'm wondering if there wouldn't be an easier way to retrieve these IDs, even automatically. I mean like based on a string search. "CPU [#0]" will always be "CPU [#0]" no matter the make and model, "total cpu usage" will always be "total cpu usage", and "current" will always be "current", and so on.
Unfortunately all the temperature monitors I've seen are GUI-only (excluding log files). :-(

HWiNFO would be awesome IMHO except as far as I can tell there is no command-line or "back-door" method to silently retrieve this kind of information from the program. There is however a guy who created a console application called Remote Sensor Monitor that creates a server and retrieves information from HWiNFO, GPU-Z, Open Hardware Monitor, and AIDA64 in order to send it to what I think is a Perl-based client.

I have no idea how to retrieve information from things like that but I thought I'd toss it out there anyway (plus I don't have Perl and can't install it right now anyway). If someone can make that thing work over a network surely there's a way to do it locally. Ofc the downside is that you're then also broadcasting your temps on your network to any computer willing to listen :lol: :rolmfao:
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » March 6th, 2016, 1:21 pm

Updated HWiNFO plugin for Rainmeter

There is a new 3.1.0 version of the HWiNFO plugin for Rainmeter available. The changes are mostly to include new and much more robust error reporting. Details are at:

http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-Rainmeter-plug-in-for-HWiNFO-3-1?pid=11089#pid11089

The plugin can be downloaded at:

http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-Rainmeter-plug-in-for-HWiNFO-3-1

I have updated everything, including my example .rmskin in the First post of this thread.
raiguard

raiguard » March 7th, 2016, 1:42 am

jsmorley wrote:Updated the HWiNFO plugin.
Holy crap, this is great! This will alleviate several headaches with users using HWiNFO-powered skin suites. Plus it makes detecting HWiNFO's presence a piece of cake!
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » November 19th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Stangowner, the author of the HWiNFO plugin for Rainmeter, has updated the plugin to version 3.2.0

Details of the changes are at: Thread at HWiNFO forum.

The first post in this thread has been updated as needed.