It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:16 pm

New shape types added to Shape Meter

Changes made during the Rainmeter 4.0 beta cycle.
jsmorley
Developer

New shape types added to Shape Meter

Post by jsmorley »

We have added new Ellipse, Line, Arc and Curve shape types to the Shape Meter.

Ellipse

Line

Arc

Curve

The example .rmskin at ExamplesMeterShape.rmskin has been updated with a few new examples for these new shape types.
AllShapes.jpg
CubicCurve.jpg
Note:

Arcs and bézier curves can be a bit tricky to wrap your head around right away if you are not familiar with the drawing tools used in programs like Illustrator or Inkscape. Be sure to check out our live interactive demonstrations at:

Arc
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/meters/shape/arc.html

Quadratic Bézier Curve
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/meters/shape/quadratic.html

Cubic Bézier Curve
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/meters/shape/cubic.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
raiguard

Re: New shape types added to Shape Meter

Post by raiguard »

Will this eventually replace the stock Line meter?
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

iamanai wrote:Will this eventually replace the stock Line meter?
No. the Line meter is a whole different animal. So is Roundline and Histogram.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Not to say I can't envision a user cobbling together a pretty sweet custom Line graph based on measure values using this stuff with a little thought.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

jsmorley wrote:No. the Line meter is a whole different animal. So is Roundline and Histogram.
Yeah, I didn't think about how different they really are. Making a line graph with the shape meter would be much more difficult than necessary. ;)
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
rbriddickk84
Rainmeter Sage

Post by rbriddickk84 »

I just have two words:
PURE AWESOMENESS

:D :beer:
PigAndante

Post by PigAndante »

Used the Ellipse eclipsed by a Rectangle to make a cool progress bar out of a circle! (Mine is wired up to the NowPlaying to show track progress, but simplified here to show the Shape loveliness.)

Note that since the Offset modifier only takes whole numbers, I used Scale (which takes real numbers) on the eclipsing Rectangle to get proper sub-pixel rendering for really smooth progress.
RainmeterProgressCircleGift.gif
Code:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=20

[Metadata]
Name=Progress bubble
Author=PigAndante
Information=Shows current progress by shading a hollow circle from side to side at various angles
Version=1.0
License=Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

[Variables]
CircleRadius=50
CircleWidth=13

ProgressColor=077d9bff
BackgroundColor=115161ff

[MeasureLoop]
Measure=Loop
StartValue=0
EndValue=100
Increment=1
InvertMeasure=1
IfCondition=MeasureLoop = 100
IfTrueAction=[!UpdateMeasure MeasureAngle]

[MeasureAngle]
Measure=Calc
Formula=Random
UpdateRandom=1
HighBound=360
UpdateDivider=-1

[ProgressCircleBackground]
Meter=Shape
Shape =Ellipse #CircleRadius#,#CircleRadius#,#CircleRadius#,#CircleRadius# | FillColor #BackgroundColor# | StrokeWidth 0
Shape2=Ellipse #CircleRadius#,#CircleRadius#,(#CircleRadius#-#CircleWidth#),(#CircleRadius#-#CircleWidth#)
Shape3=Combine Shape | Exclude Shape2
UpdateDivider=-1

[ProgressCircle]
Meter=Shape
Shape =Ellipse #CircleRadius#,#CircleRadius#,#CircleRadius#,#CircleRadius# | FillColor #ProgressColor# | StrokeWidth 0
Shape2=Ellipse #CircleRadius#,#CircleRadius#,(#CircleRadius#-#CircleWidth#),(#CircleRadius#-#CircleWidth#)
Shape3=Rectangle 0,0,(#CircleRadius#*2)+5,(#CircleRadius#*2) | Scale ([MeasureLoop]/100), 1, (#CircleRadius#*2), 0
Shape4=Combine Shape | Exclude Shape2 | Exclude Shape3 | Rotate [MeasureAngle], #CircleRadius#, #CircleRadius#
DynamicVariables=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

PigAndante wrote:Note that since the Offset modifier only takes whole numbers, I used Scale (which takes real numbers) on the eclipsing Rectangle to get proper sub-pixel rendering for really smooth progress.
There is a change coming in the next beta that allows for real numbers on all number related options for shapes.

D2D works with something called DIP (or device independent pixels)...basically allowing for floating-point coordinates. While we have converted the new shape meter to take advantage of DIP's, the meter itself will still be defined by whole numbers along with the rest of Rainmeter.

-Brian
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

Another thought related to the Line meter... that meter is specifically meant to make a line graph, but its name may be misleading. Now that you can draw line segments with Shape, perhaps the Line meter should be renamed to "LineGraph" or maybe just "Graph"?

Just food for thought. I don't actually expect this to be implemented anytime soon, just wanted to voice my opinion. :thumbup:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

iamanai wrote:Another thought related to the Line meter... that meter is specifically meant to make a line graph, but its name may be misleading. Now that you can draw line segments with Shape, perhaps the Line meter should be renamed to "LineGraph" or maybe just "Graph"?

Just food for thought. I don't actually expect this to be implemented anytime soon, just wanted to voice my opinion. :thumbup:
Understood, and I don't disagree. It will however be implemented never. Backwards compatibility with existing skins is our number one priority. Number one... We really are not interested in "depreciating" names of meters just for the sake of renaming them.