It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:36 pm

Changes to NetIn/NetOut/NetTotal and SysInfo.

Changes made during the Rainmeter 3.3 beta cycle.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Changes to NetIn/NetOut/NetTotal and SysInfo.

Post by SilverAzide »

Oops, my bad, I understand now!! I got overly excited the with new "Best"/Name features and forgot that the index values are the same as in 3.2. :)

I hate to ask for more since you guys have done such a nice job with "Best" and handling adapter names, but since you've done all the hard work already, how about exposing some additional internal info that Rainmeter must already have?

My first request/suggestion would be to expose the numeric adapter type (referred to as "Type" in the debug log). Not sure if the best place for this is SysInfo or Net, but you'll know the best place I'm sure. If this value was available, you could create network skins that could dynamically reconfigure themselves on the fly. For example, let's say you have a skin that is monitoring a wired network (Ethernet, type=6)... no need to display Wifi stuff in that mode. You unplug and connect to a wireless network... the skin could see that change (type=71) and start displaying the SSID, signal strength, and other WiFi stuff. Actually, the most important numeric values are "71" and "not 71", so instead of the adapter type you could just report 0 for wired and 1 for wireless (or whatever) and that would be fine too, but using the actual number would give folks the most options.

For example:

Code: Select all

[MeasureAdapterType]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=SysInfo
SysInfoType=ADAPTER_TYPE
SysInfoData=Best
DynamicVariables=1

;or
[MeasureAdapterType]
Measure=NetType
Interface=Best
DynamicVariables=1

[MeterShowWiFiStuff]
Hidden=(([MeasureAdapterType] = 71) ? 0 : 1)
The next suggestion/request would be to expose the network connection name (referred to as "Alias" in the debug log) for the specified adapter. This is a nice to have, but might convey useful info.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Knowing if "Best" is currently pointing to a wired or wireless connection would be of value indeed. I'll throw some chum off the back of the boat and see what happens.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Thanks for the consideration! Having all that juicy goodness from GetIfTable would be great...! :D
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley and devs,

Just wanted to give you guys feedback -- if you need any -- regarding the enhancements to the Net and SysInfo measures with the new "Best" option. I hammered on this with every combination of virtual/non-virtual/whatever network adapter type using both VPNs and normal wired/wireless configs, and so far the enhancement is working perfectly. It appears to be correctly reporting the active network adapter (i.e., "best") in every situation I've tried. (Tested with Win 7 and 8.1 only.)

The only item I've noticed is that when there is no network active at all, it will report one of my virtual adapters as the "best" (and I'm not sure why it is picking the one it is picking). This really isn't a concern in this situation, since there's no network anyway.

Anyway, two thumbs up from me... :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm still hoping there's some consideration of adding the ability to get the adapter type and interface "index" (the "Interface" value to use in the Net measures) into the SysInfo plugin.
alpha-bet

Post by alpha-bet »

Hello.
Please update the next built with Visual C++ 2015.
:welcome: