It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:21 pm

New Documentation

Changes made during the Rainmeter 2.5 beta cycle and earlier.
jsmorley
Developer

New Documentation

Post by jsmorley »

New users and old hands alike, be sure to check out the new Rainmeter Documentation at http://docs.rainmeter.net.

We hope this will make learning and using Rainmeter easier for everyone. Things are better organized, and there are links absolutely everywhere that make sure that a term or function referenced somewhere has a way to get you to the "source" information.

For those who help out here on the forums or elsewhere, be aware that most of the section "header" text on the pages, as well as the "options names" in the descriptions of things like meter and measure options can be made a link by simply holding down CTRL when you click them. That will give you a link directly to the item, E.g.:

http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/meters/button#ButtonImage
http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/settings#RainmeterIni

Let us know if you see any mistakes, typos, or incorrect information.
Benjamin Linus

Re: New Documentation

Post by Benjamin Linus »

Fantastic work guys :bow:
UnforgivenRevival

Post by UnforgivenRevival »

It turned out great. Good job!
AlC

Post by AlC »

Very good work! :thumbup:
Rainmeter - You are only limited by your imagination and creativity.
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

very nice. and it looks great also.
thanks.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Now I'm getting used to the new Manual format I rather like it. Well done all concerned. :thumbup:

There are however a few ambiguities / typos which might confuse new users.

For example in the section on Image Meters, under ImageName we have "Path of the image file" which I guess should be something like "Name of the Image file including the Path if the image file is not in the same folder as the .ini file". The Note: could also be expanded to say something like "valid extensions are bmp, jpg, gif and ico with .png being assumed if no extension is provided."

Or getting really pinickity, in the Update-Guide we have "Because [MeasureTotalC] measures the total space of the drive (which will not change), the it is safe to measure it only once". Seems the third 'the' should be deleted.

Rather than point out each and every little typo on this thread, I would like to know if there is a wiki version where users can make edits which are subject to the moderators' approval before being included?
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Mordasius wrote:For example in the section on Image Meters, under ImageName we have "Path of the image file" which I guess should be something like "Name of the Image file including the Path if the image file is not in the same folder as the .ini file".
File.ext alone is actually a valid path (see the Wikipedia article). All path options (click on the "Path" link) accept either relative or absolute paths unless otherwise noted.
Mordasius wrote:Rather than point out each and every little typo on this thread, I would like to know if there is a wiki version where users can make edits which are subject to the moderators' approval before being included?
The source for the new documentation is hosted on GitHub. If you're familiar with Git and GitHub, Pull Requests are more than welcome. (If not, wait for our basic tutorial on the matter in the near future.)
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

poiru wrote:File.ext alone is actually a valid path (see the Wikipedia article). All path options (click on the "Path" link) accept either relative or absolute paths unless otherwise noted.
Point taken, but if I were a new user I think I'd be better informed seeing something along the lines of "Name of the Image file with a valid Path... rather than something beginning with "Path of the image file." Haviing links is a great idea but I don't think new users should have to click on too many to get to the basics.

I also seem to remember a couple of times when new users have asked or had to be told what file extensions are valid with ImageName.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Mordasius wrote: I also seem to remember a couple of times when new users have asked or had to be told what file extensions are valid with ImageName.
I added that here: http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/meters/general-options/image-options
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Minor Typo in Section Variables XY last sentence...
This also means that for a string meter with StringAlign options, the value of [MeterName:X] and [MeterName:Y] may not the same as the option values.
I believe this needs the word "be" inserted:
This also means that for a string meter with StringAlign options, the value of [MeterName:X] and [MeterName:Y] may not be the same as the option values.