It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:07 pm

OnWakeAction

Changes made during the Rainmeter 3.0 beta cycle.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: OnWakeAction

Post by balala »

QuakeGuy wrote: February 5th, 2020, 4:19 pm Has anybody here a Microsoft Surface and can test the OnWakeAction?
Even if I risk to seem stupid, I don't know what Microsoft Surface is. What it is?
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

balala wrote: February 5th, 2020, 8:11 pm Even if I risk to seem stupid, I don't know what Microsoft Surface is. What it is?
A very expensive tablet
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CyberTheWorm wrote: February 5th, 2020, 8:27 pm A very expensive tablet
Oh, sorry for my stupid reply.
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

balala wrote: February 5th, 2020, 8:28 pm Oh, sorry for my stupid reply.
No stupid questions only stupid answers :D
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CyberTheWorm wrote: February 5th, 2020, 8:29 pm No stupid questions only stupid answers :D
:thumbup:
mercury52

Post by mercury52 »

Anybody ever find a fix for this? I have a Microsoft Surface 5 Laptop (2022) and the onwakeaction does absolutely nothing.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

mercury52 wrote: July 18th, 2023, 7:56 pm Anybody ever find a fix for this? I have a Microsoft Surface 5 Laptop (2022) and the onwakeaction does absolutely nothing.
"This" being the WebParser problem, or the inability to use the OnWakeAction on a MS Surface?

To be certain when it comes to the latter, does this, in the [Rainmeter] section:

Code: Select all

OnWakeAction=[!Log "Wake Action Happened"]
produce the said message in the log?

As for the WebParser possibility, maybe there's another acceptable way to deal with that issue.

P.S. If you're certain about the wake action issue, you can post a bug report in the corresponding forum section. The developers are a bit busy with other things for the time being, but maybe you'll get a more definitive answer - if folks do have an MS Surface to test things on, that is (which, TBH, might be part of the problem, as not many do, as far as I'm aware of).
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

mercury52 wrote: July 18th, 2023, 7:56 pm Anybody ever find a fix for this? I have a Microsoft Surface 5 Laptop (2022) and the onwakeaction does absolutely nothing.
It seems Microsoft changed something with power notificiations with the Windows Surface products. It has something to do with an "InstantGo" feature, but the internal workings of it and how to detect and respond to it are hardly documented (or at least not easily referenced by the "normal" power notifications documentation). I did come across some other developers talking about this and how to capture the normal power notifications for Surface products, but since I do not have access to a Surface machine, I cannot test it.

I made a special build with the changes, if you could please test this and report back if it worked for not, that would be really helpful!
https://builds.rainmeter.net/test_builds/Rainmeter-4.5.17.3723-prerelease-OnWakeAction.exe

-Brian
mercury52

Post by mercury52 »

thanks Brian. Happy to help. I installed Rainmeter using your link and the issue is still there. I used the following in the skin:

OnWakeAction=[!SetOption MeterString Text "10 seconds to Refresh"][!Delay 10000][!Refresh]
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Thanks for testing that. While there are a few other options I can try, they might have to wait until we drop Windows 7/8/8.1.

In the meantime, if you don't mind testing 1 more version for now. It's basically the same version, so it probably won't work.....but this version comes with some extra logging to help me see if things are getting registered correctly, and if any power messages are getting broadcast when returning from sleep/hibernate.

Here is the new test build:
https://builds.rainmeter.net/test_builds/Rainmeter-4.5.17.3723-prerelease-OnWakeAction2.exe

Before running this version, could you turn on the "Debug mode" and "Log to file" ?
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/manage/#SettingsTab

Also, could you test this with a simple bang, like Yincognito suggested? Something like OnWakeAction=[!Log "I just woke up!"]

Once those logging options are turned on and you change your OnWakeAction, you can install the new test build.

Once you return from sleep (or hibernate), please open the log file and post its contents here. It's important to post the entire log since it should include any power "registration" results when the skin first loads.

Thanks again for all your testing!
-Brian