It is currently April 26th, 2024, 12:13 pm

Call for Reward and Recognition system suggestions!!!

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
sgtevmckay

Call for Reward and Recognition system suggestions!!!

Post by sgtevmckay »

Hello again fellow Raineers.

I want to first apologize for failing us as a community.
Now I am sure you are asking; "Apologize for what?"

Quite simply for not properly enhancing the forum as a community effort.
It was recently brought to my attention that I have been going astray from the forum lessons learned at Ubuntu and Donationcoder.com.
I have been making community decisions without the community input.
I was going to start another group, the V.I.S.O.R. Team (Volunteers in the service of Rainmeter Team). I was thinking this to be a great way to recognize the hard work of certain dedicated members, but it was brought to my attention that this may start smacking of being elitist!
That some members may feel left out, or not encouraged to properly grow with our community, that some may even avoid the Rainmeter community.
I thought about this and a bitter taste was left in my mouth and a bad feeling in my stomach. I realized that I had lost site of the community, and what the forum should represent.

Therefore I have other plans for the V.I.S.O.R. Team, but more on that in another forum thread.
==========================================================================================================

So I put the concept to the to the community for help.

I want to create a reward or some type of recognition system.
I want your help and suggestions for ideas regarding this.

I need your suggestions for a way that Raineers can recognize and reward one another here at the forums.

Some type of member elective system :)

Let's let the members decide who deserve the points, based on help, quality of volunteer service, time spent assisting at the forum, even those who try to help - even if not completely accurate ;) ,Quality of skin(s), etc, but service to Rainmeter and the community.

==============================================================================================================
How to submit ideas

Details
Until July 15, 2009. I will accept suggestions here on this thread. Just post "Reply" to this thread
This Forum will be locked sometime July 16, 2009

A couple of days later, I will take a compiled list of all viable suggestions, and place it in a forum vote, for the best reward and recognitions system.
I will run this election thread for 15 days from it's post date.

Conditions for entry:
This is where things get fun :twisted:
  • *Any suggestions (MODS) must be able to install to our forum standard (PHPBB3).
    *We will need a link to the MOD in order to research the viability of the integration.
    *If you find something on another forum site; you will be responsible for acquiring the links to the MOD that that forums owners are using, or track it down. Also listing a link to the forum, so we can see the system in action.
    *If you are a forum PHP programmer, and you wish to submit a custom MOD, you must be able to provide all materials and viability as to it's operation ( I want to ensure that your custom Mod will not crash our growing world here), you must also be prepared to give Rainmeter unlimited software and use access - Within the Rainmeter forums.
Where can I get ideas?
*Well I just started with a google search for PHPBB3 Mods, but I am certain Raineers can refine a search.
*Other forums that run on the PHPBB3 Platforms.
*http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=69

Understand folks that the PHPBB3 is one of the most common forum standards, and there must be tons of stuff out there.
So I need your help and suggestions for this reward and recognition system, something the whole community will agree to, and vote on for that approval.

Let's have fun with this one, and I promise more will come, and soon, but let's see how this one will work first :D
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
May I never again forget the community motto: " A community of Raineers, by Raineers, for Raineers"
And If I start slipping again, do not hesitate to let us know that we are walking away from the vision of that motto :D

Let the process of improving our forum begin!!!!
Chewtoy

Re: Call for Reward and Recognition system suggestions!!!

Post by Chewtoy »

Well. I don't know if it's possible since I'm not a programmer.
But, what of a "Raineer of the month"-thingy?

Each month one raineer get the reward based on diffrent things such as (for example):

*Being helpfull / willing to help.
*Released skin idea (and/or design).
*Activity in the forum.
*Being polit.
*<insert more things here>

And to do this you will be able to give someone points with a click of a button! :D

It's just what popped in to my head when I read "award system". :x
Don't know if it's possible though, as I said; I am no programmer. :/
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
Dirt Dog

Post by Dirt Dog »

I'm new to this, so I won't be a lot of help, Best skin.. nope, I can try to be polite, oh for get it, how about a random # gen, that gives me a chance, no forget that... I have only won 3 bucks playing the lotto for 15 years. I'll get back to ya on this one. :arrow:
bhadkow

Post by bhadkow »

@ sgtevmckay

sir you n few other raineers have done a very excellent job by bringing the forum to life. KUDOS !!
i think i have a slightly different opinion about improving this site., making the forum very very user friendly is the right way to go. i am a member in many different types of forums and one thing i like most is the user friendly nature, smilies and such stuff. rewards and awards can be good but they may create 'gaps' ! a slight misunderstanding wil really 'hurt' . encouraging members by commeting is the best way. make the forum more customisable (afterall 'rainmeter' is for customisng right??) admins and moderators u give the 'titles' based on 'user stats' . all can't be the presidents of a country!! opinions differ and good leaders will always know whats best. and u guys running the forum are doing excellent!!

user friendly= what a user needs = success!! thats the mantra!!!

looking forward for the coolest forum mods!! let your dreams go wild!!

ps: i stongly believe even if one person is negatively 'voted' .., even if by a single vote , the game is lost. it doesn't matter who wins or loses when everyone is working for the same cause. there's simply no need for a 'whos great' thing...... :)
Last edited by bhadkow on June 29th, 2009, 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

bhadkow wrote:@ sgtevmckay

sir you n few other raineers have done a very excellent job by bringing to forum to life. KUDOS !!
i think i have a slightly different opinion about improving this site., making the forum very very user friendly is the right way to go. i am a member in many different types of forums and most think i like is the user friendly nature, smilies and such stuff. rewards and awards can be good but they may create 'gaps' ! a slight misunderstanding wil really 'hurt' . encouraging members by commeting is the best way. make the forum more customisable (afterall 'rainmeter' is for customisng right??) admins and moderators u give the 'titles' based on 'user stats' . all can't be the presidents of a country!! opinions differ and good leaders will always know whats best. and u gays running the forum are doing excellent!!

user friendly= what a user needs = success!! thats the mantra!!!

looking forward for the coolest forum mods!! let your dreams go wild!!

ps: i stongly believe even if one person is negatively 'voted' .., even if by a single vote , the game is lost. it doesn't matter who wins or loses when everyone is working for the same cause. there's simply no need for a 'whos great' thing...... :)
Aside from the fact that you called sgtevmckay "gay", I completely agree.

P.S. I would love to see some different "Themes" here, as there are some really nice ones out there and (oh god, here I go again) truth be told I am not all that fond of cat pee yellow... I do suspect however that some of the customizing which has been done to add things like the lightbox for images and such might make it a challenge to install custom themes. Some testing would have to be done...

Aside from that, the only thing which I think would be useful is to allow "flash". I have a nice BBCode which will let users embed flash objects (YouTube videos, Camtasia videos people have done of their skins in action, etc.) and I think that would be cool.

For the most part though, the forums are just a vessel. It's the people and the great attitudes (cat pee yellow comments aside) that make a forum. This site has really taken off and I am super impressed with the helpfulness and friendliness.
bhadkow

Post by bhadkow »

oops!! . edited it . no offence . thnx sir.
Last edited by bhadkow on June 29th, 2009, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhadkow

Post by bhadkow »

is real time ready chat possible?? it would be great!! not irc chat... many don't know it!!
Last edited by bhadkow on June 29th, 2009, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

LOL... I knew it was just a typo. Just pulling your leg... It was a great post and I agree.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

bhadkow wrote:is real time ready chat possible?? it would be great!!
I tried several ways to do that on another forum I run, and it's not easy to get something working in the forums themselves without MAJOR modifications. However, it you look at the top of the page, there is an "IRC Chat" link. Click that, enter a name you want to be known by, and you will be chatting in IRC. A lot of us hang around in there in the evenings to talk Rainmeter stuff. You are more than welcome to join us!
bhadkow

Post by bhadkow »

jsmorley wrote: I tried several ways to do that on another forum I run, and it's not easy to get something working in the forums themselves without MAJOR modifications. However, it you look at the top of the page, there is an "IRC Chat" link. Click that, enter a name you want to be known by, and you will be chatting in IRC. A lot of us hang around in there in the evenings to talk Rainmeter stuff. You are more than welcome to join us!

sure wud be glad 2 join u guys!

define 'evening' !! i am from a different time zone so its GMT+5:30 here!! and its 3 am now!! :mrgreen: