It is currently April 19th, 2024, 3:28 pm

Rainmeter Book by Ken Lim

Articles, reviews and other mentions of Rainmeter on the web.
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Rainmeter Book by Ken Lim

Post by MerlinTheRed »

I just got a mail from this book's publisher, asking me to review it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1782160264/?tag=packtpubli-20

I hope a few of you got the same mail, as they apparently selected me for my "expertise on the subject matter", and I'm hardly the one with the greatest expertise here. I find it interesting that someone took the time to write a how-to book about Rainmeter. Personally I don't think there is a huge market for it, but I think I will take a look at it.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
Brian
Developer

Re: Rainmeter Book by Ken Lim

Post by Brian »

I have read through the book and found it to be more of a tutorial at best. It starts out with some basics, but then quickly moves to more advanced topics such as parsing a webpage and using lua.

Personally, I think there are better tutorials on Youtube, or our own docs, and I wouldn't pay money for a small book that teaches only a few items. Don't get me wrong, the book is fairly well written and fairly accurate, but I personally I think it skips over a few important concepts.

I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from purchasing the book if they so choose, I just think there is enough "free" information out there to warrant the book useless. I guess if you didn't have a lot of internet access and wanted to learn Rainmeter, this is one way.

-Brian