It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:47 am

Rainmeter WILL NOT run on startup.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Beef678

Rainmeter WILL NOT run on startup.

Post by Beef678 »

I've tried adding the .exe file to the Startup folder, that doesn't work. I can run the file if I manually click on it, but that's not what I want. When I log on, Blocked Startup Programs tells me that it's blocked. In the System Configuration Utility, there's 2 startup items that say Rainmeter, both at different locations. they're both enabled, but I still keep getting the message that they're blocked. This has been bugging me for a few days, and I really hope this is just a simple fix.
santa_ryan

Re: Rainmeter WILL NOT run on startup.

Post by santa_ryan »

You dont move the exe to the startup folder.

You make a shortcut and move the shortcut.

As for the blocked program are you running a a restricted computer? (E.G a work laptop or system)
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
Beef678

Post by Beef678 »

I'm on my home computer, which is Vista and it's an admin account. As for the shortcut, it's there when I reinstall Rainmeter, but when I tried disabling one of the Rainmeter startup items in SCU, is gets removed. The path for the file is odd too, it says "C:/PROGRA~/RAINME~/RAINE~1.EXE" but the other one is where it should be, in the Profram Files/Rainmeter folder.
Scolex

Post by Scolex »

Beef678 wrote:I'm on my home computer, which is Vista and it's an admin account. As for the shortcut, it's there when I reinstall Rainmeter, but when I tried disabling one of the Rainmeter startup items in SCU, is gets removed. The path for the file is odd too, it says "C:/PROGRA~/RAINME~/RAINE~1.EXE" but the other one is where it should be, in the Profram Files/Rainmeter folder.
C:\PROGRA~\RAINME~\RAINE~1.EXE is the same thing as C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe just in short name format.

Vista 32 or 64bit?
I assume 32 since if 64 it should be C:\PROGRA~1\RAINME~1\RAINE~1.EXE if rainmeter install is 64bit or
C:\PROGRA~2\RAINME~1\RAINE~1.EXE if install of rainmeter 32bit.
Beef678

Post by Beef678 »

32 bit. Something else I forgot to mention is that upon logging on, I get the Open File - Security Warning for svchost, located at C:/Users/CurrentUser/AppData/Roaming/Svchost/Svchost. I went to Roaming, and there's no file for svchost. Anyways, when I click the Open option, another pop up says 'Thoth has stopped working' and I have do idea what Thoth is, I've searched for it and nothing comes up. When I click cancel, the Blocked program app start up, hence disabling Rainmeter.
Scolex

Post by Scolex »

I think you have a virus/malware of some sort svchost is a system file that would never be in your appdata/roaming folder.

Run a full system virus scan, deep scan if you have that option and go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and download their malware scanner.

Edit:
See this post http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7596

A little info I found on thoth

File Behavior

THOTH.EXE has been seen to perform the following behavior:

The Process is packed and/or encrypted using a software packing process
This process creates other processes on disk
Executes a Process
This Process Deletes Other Processes From Disk sound familiar?

THOTH.EXE has been the subject of the following behavior:

Created as a process on disk
Executed as a Process
Deleted as a process from disk