It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 3:13 pm

seriously. am I too dumb to use rainmeter?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
gravitasserum

seriously. am I too dumb to use rainmeter?

Post by gravitasserum »

Is it possible that I'm not as smart as I think I am?

I've read thru this entire thread and still can't figure out how to install ABP. And before you ask, yes, I read Rainmeter 101 and clicked on the link bottom-right corner. But none of it seems to be helpful.

I'm on a new Win7 machine and when I click on the download it tries to open it with winzip. There's a post about renaming the file to *.rmskin but I can't do that in Win7.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

gravitas
jsmorley
Developer

Re: seriously. am I too dumb to use rainmeter?

Post by jsmorley »

If you installed Rainmeter normally, it should have created a file association for .rmskin that causes any execution of a file with that extension to be opened with Rainstaller, and you should not have to do anything further other than run the .rmskin file and follow the prompts.

When you click the link on our page with ABP, you should get something like this:
4-5-2011 9-37-01 AM.jpg
If you are not getting something like that image, your browser may not be configured to "run" associated applications directly from a website. It may be detecting that a .rmskin is really a .zip file with a different extension, and offering to "open" it with WinZip or whatever you use for zip files. You don't want that. You can "save" the file instead of opening it in your browser and just double click the .rmskin file to run it.

The first thing you need to do is turn of the entirely IDIOTIC default setting of Windows 7 that "hides extensions of known file types"

http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/06/27/how-to-show-and-hide-file-extensions-in-windows/

Then just be sure that whatever you have downloaded has an extension of .rmskin. If you got ABP from our site at:

http://rainmeter.net/cms/SuitesABP

It will be in your Downloads folder as "ABP1.2.rmskin". Just double click it.

=======

If you installed Rainmeter "Portable", then you just need to run Rainstaller.exe from \Addons\Rainstaller in your Rainmeter folder, (where Rainmeter.exe is) and when it runs it will allow you to browse to the ABP1.2.rmskin and open it using Rainstaller. Then just follow the prompts to install the suite.

If your browser is actually renaming ABP1.2.rmskin with a .zip extension, then it's time to get a new browser. I recommend:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scolex

Post by Scolex »

gravitasserum wrote: There's a post about renaming the file to *.rmskin but I can't do that in Win7.
gravitas
Why can't you rename the extension?
Do you have extensions hidden?
If so open an explorer window and in the menu bar click Tools-->Folder Options-->View (tab)-->uncheck "hide extensions of known type"
After you change .zip to .rmskin just confirm the change in the popup.
gravitasserum

Post by gravitasserum »

First off, thanks for your help. I got it to work. (And there may be hope for me yet). ;)
jsmorley wrote: If you installed Rainmeter normally, it should have created a file association for .rmskin that causes any execution of a file with that extension to be opened with Rainstaller, and you should not have to do anything further other than run the .rmskin file and follow the prompts.
I installed it normally (via firefox).
If you are not getting something like that image, your browser may not be configured to "run" associated applications directly from a website. It may be detecting that a .rmskin is really a .zip file with a different extension, and offering to "open" it with WinZip or whatever you use for zip files. You don't want that. You can "save" the file instead of opening it in your browser and just double click the .rmskin file to run it.
yeah it was definitiely making that sssociation. It treated it as a .zip file. And I was being a dumbass. All I had to do was rename the downloaded file abp1.2.zip as abp1.2.rmskin. Once I did that I could run the file and it worked perfectly.
The first thing you need to do is turn of the entirely IDIOTIC default setting of Windows 7 that "hides extensions of known file types"
Yes, did that as soon as I got Win 7. Hate that retarded setting. :sly:
If your browser is actually renaming ABP1.2.rmskin with a .zip extension, then it's time to get a new browser. I recommend firefox
I already use firefox (3.6.16 right now). I don't know exactly what happened but it showed up as a .zip file.

Again, thanks for your help, it's working great now!

/grav
gravitasserum

Post by gravitasserum »

Scolex wrote: Why can't you rename the extension?
Do you have extensions hidden?
If so open an explorer window and in the menu bar click Tools-->Folder Options-->View (tab)-->uncheck "hide extensions of known type"
After you change .zip to .rmskin just confirm the change in the popup.
I was being a dumbass. I didn't understand what people were telling me about the rename procedure. It's working fine now.