It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:02 pm

Slow Rainmeter Performance

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Seahorse

Slow Rainmeter Performance

Post by Seahorse »

It's only appeared recently, but clicking on Rainmeter menu results in something like 4 second wait before it appears and seems to affect RM and and any skin running. Makes it very difficult to run or edit anything. Rest of PC performing normally, can't find any obvious cause.
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

Shark1502

Re: Slow Rainmeter Performance

Post by Shark1502 »

There are countless reasons this could exist.
Important considerations:
How many skins are you running?
Have you installed any skins recently?
Does this still happen if you close many/all skins?
What's your computer spec?
What OS are you running?

Hard to answer this question without specifics....
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Odd -- has worked fine here. I PM'd a link to a dev build of Rainmeter. If that doesn't help, try thinking about what you might have installed (or changed) to your computer lately.
Scolex

Post by Scolex »

I personally have not seen RM run slowly other than when loading a theme or restarting RM.
I have 17 skins running several of which are polling/parsing data on a 1 second interval and it is quite responsive even while running a video encoding app that keeps the load at 100%.

I am curious as to what type of skins you are running and computer specs.

On a side note the largest file I am parsing is ~1.3MB.
Shark1502

Post by Shark1502 »

Scolex wrote:I personally have not seen RM run slowly other than when loading a theme or restarting RM.
I have 17 skins running several of which are polling/parsing data on a 1 second interval and it is quite responsive even while running a video encoding app that keeps the load at 100%.

I am curious as to what type of skins you are running and computer specs.

On a side note the largest file I am parsing is ~1.3MB.
Same here. No problems at all, but curious about spec
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

The problem is intermittent, i.e. working perfectly at present, but the problem has existed for some time now.

Win 7 64-bit with this hardware.

Force-X & HTC clock are the only skins I am running. Tested the Steam ones but they take up too much screen real estate in their current form. Also installed are:
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

Shark1502

Post by Shark1502 »

Hardware requirement is def not an issue. I run far more skins on a less powerful setup.
Can you go into detail about the problem. Am I getting it right that there's a delay when activating the context menu? Or is it right-clicking on the RM tray icon?

What things improve the situation and what things make it worse?

Also if it's intermittent, have you considered simply upping RM process priority and seeing what happens?
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

No, but I will give it a try next time it occurs, I suspect HTC clock as it's the newer of the 2... :twisted:
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

76firefly

Post by 76firefly »

I'm actually having the same problem, been using RM since 1.0 was released and never had a problem. I just did a fresh install of Vista x64, and RM was one of the first programs I installed. Lag time is like 5 seconds, makes it impossible to move the skins around. This is just with the default illustro suite. And now that I look the skins (CPU Usage) it only updates like every 5-10 seconds as well. If i put my old theme with tons of skins it just almost shuts down? Tried reinstalling and not even using my old configs and themes, just the ones that come with RM. Not really sure what it could be as this is a fresh install with only a few things installed or updated, like Windows updates, Revo, newest NVidia drivers, FF.... nothing crazy just basic stuff. So i looked on the forums and I do see at least one other person has this problem as well.
So just wanted to chime in and say I'm having similar issues. Getting desperate, never knew how much I relied on RM til it stopped working for me, wondering if I should try older builds and see what happens.
Any advice or me and this other guy the only ones with similar issues???
Thanks in advance!
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

@76firefly,

Make a new topic on the subject. You will only confuse people who are trying to help the OP and you might get the wrong information yourself, potentially harming your computer in the worst case scenario.
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.