It is currently April 19th, 2024, 7:20 am

If I install rainmeter will my computer slow down?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
state299

If I install rainmeter will my computer slow down?

Post by state299 »

Hi, im thinking about installiing rainmeter but my main concern is that my computer will slow down.
im using an
amd phenom 9550 quad-core processor with 2.20ghz
and i have 5gb ram
how much will rainmeter slow down my computer. i want it to slow down my computer less than having like an extra tab open on ie if possible also what is the best theme for my situation that will still look nice? thanks in advance :)
King Damager

Re: If I install rainmeter will my computer slow down?

Post by King Damager »

It depends really...

Some skins will use more CPU than others.

It shouldn't really have too much of an effect however, I run rainmeter on a laptop (old Intel Processor - 4gb of ram) with quite a few skins, and it still runs fine.

Also, if you install it and find it's an issue, you can easily uninstall it:)

kd
jsmorley
Developer

Re: If I install rainmeter will my computer slow down?

Post by jsmorley »

Rainmeter itself will use virtually zero CPU resources. The load increases with the skins you load, but for the average person, running 5-10 skins say, I would guess that Rainmeter will use about 2-4% of CPU. Not much. You CAN write a skin that will tear up the CPU, or load 100 skins and use a lot of resources, but it's all in your control really.

As to the question "what is the best theme for my situation that will still look nice?", there is no answer for that. There are literally thousands of skins / suites out there for Rainmeter, and it is a matter of what you want functionally and what your tastes are. Your computer will handle Rainmeter and just about any skin ever written without breaking a sweat. Troll around in here and see what jumps out at you: http://rainmeter.deviantart.com/gallery/?23941137