It is currently April 20th, 2024, 2:40 am

Rainmeter freezing problem

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Zjekurwaany

Rainmeter freezing problem

Post by Zjekurwaany »

Hello everyone.
Here is problem I encounter.
[problem] Rainmeter is freezing, I have to wait 5-10 sec for reaction, it gets unresponsible for 30 sec from time to time. In one word it's freezing a lot.[/problem]

I was looking for answers in forum/google and find that anti-virus might be cause of problems. I am using avast, I turned it off, it didn't get any better.

Accidentaly when my internet disconected I saw that rainmeter started working normally. So that was my first idea
[idea] Internet based problem[/idea]
I checked option, antivirus again and everything I thought about at that time.

After no succes I decided to make full format and see what happens then. Format done. I have installed rainmeter and drivers for modem. Problem is still appearing.

[internet] I am using cerberus P6311-7A. Instead of normall cable connection to internet I can (and I am using) usb connection. I insalled driver for that.[/internet]

What I checked after format is that problem must be caused by this USB connection. If I connect my laptop to internet using normal cable that I connect to network card everything is ok.

Ok so you have full story in short words again. Problem is that rainmetter laggs a lot if I am connected to internet by USB (other problem that I have to use USB connection because other computers use normal slots). It works fine in any other configuration. Any suggestions? I use windows 7. Beta 1.4 have the same problem. Hope you can help. My english isn't best so if you can't understand something it's probably my mistake, just ask then.
dragonmage
Developer

Re: Rainmeter freezing problem

Post by dragonmage »

Just so we can try to narrow down the problem could you try closing any internet related skins and then restarting Rainmeter? I'd start with any Network activity skin first then restart Rainmeter, if the problem continues then try any skins that are pulling internet information (weather etc).
shiraz07

Post by shiraz07 »

Also,you might consider a problem I had a while back,in that for some reason I had 2 incidences of Rainmeter running simultaneously,obviously slowing everything down.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Strange behavior. WebParser is threaded, and even if it can't connect at all, the connection is slow or the site is really huge and it takes a long time to parse the information, this generally has no impact on Rainmeter's overall performance. WebParser can even "hang" if you are calling it over and over before it can finish each iteration, (like hitting refresh over and over really fast or setting UpdateRate on the measure to a really small number) but in my experience that also doesn't effect Rainmeter in general.

Before we assume it is a driver issue with your USB connection (although we may end up there), let's eliminate some other possibilities.

Leave your internet connected via the USB.

Close all skins that access the internet. These would be any which have a measure with Plugin=WebParser.dll in them.

Does Rainmeter now behave?

Start loading those internet skins back one at a time. Give some time after loading each, so you can verify the behavior. What we are trying to find is if it is really "any" WebParser skin, or could it be just one of them? Does it behave worse with more than one WebParser skin running, or is one all it takes to cause the behavior?

Try to hopefully find out if there is some problem with one particular skin in this USB environment. This would be the optimal outcome. I'm guessing not, however, but let's eliminate the easy solutions first.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

One other thing to do that might point in some direction is to unload all the WebParser skins except one that you know causes the behavior. Then in that skin in the WebParser measure that has a line like URL=http://SomeURL (the measure that actually goes out to the internet) add the line Debug=1

From the system tray context menu for Rainmeter, do "Logging / Start Logging"

Now refresh that skin.

Let it run for a bit, then again from the context menu, do "Logging / Show Log File"

Are there any interesting "WebParser: some error message" entries in there? If so, paste them here.

When you are done, just remove that Debug=1 line from the skin and using the context menu "Stop Logging".
Zjekurwaany

Post by Zjekurwaany »

Ow I forgot to say about that. Of course I read other's problem before and of course I closed all skins and check what will happen. Even If there is only rainmeter runing (without any skin, just icon in tray) it will run slowly if conected to internet via usb. (If I conect to interned normally via ethernet cable everythings work fine. As I said I also formatted whole computer to be sure there is no other programs conflict.

I checked. I havn't two istances runing simultaneously, also I am sure that after format, such random problems would be eliminated.

Ps. also my computer isn't too slow or something. Because everything works fine in any other combination. Bad think is that I am limited to use this one bad for me :twisted:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Well, this is a poser indeed.

Can you do "Edit Settings" and up at the top in [Rainmeter] change or add:

DisableVersionCheck=1

Save and restart Rainmeter with no skins. Any difference?
Zjekurwaany

Post by Zjekurwaany »

Done. No succes.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Well, I'm stumped. There must be some conflict with Rainmeter and the driver you are using to connect to the internet via USB. I have no idea how to isolate it any further than that, not having your setup or any way to reproduce it.

Not sure what to tell you other than to see if you can change your setup to not use the USB to connect. Sorry.