It is currently April 24th, 2024, 3:41 pm

computer crash question?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
rjpjr

computer crash question?

Post by rjpjr »

Hello all. I'm brand new to rainmeter and sincerely sorry if i am posting this thread in the wrong area.

I have used rainmeter for a week now and after customizing some of my own skins I restarted my computer only to find the blue screen of death. I had just uninstalled my anti-virus software to update and then restarted for it to take effect. the only other thing significant I did before that fateful restart was update my java as I was prompted to. I am hoping this was all caused by a botched uninstall and nothing to do with rainmeter. If anyone else has had this issue please help or let me know that rainmeter is all ok!

Thanks.
JamesAC
Developer

Re: computer crash question?

Post by JamesAC »

I am almost certain this is not Rainmeter's fault.

Are you running AVG on x64?? If so, this might be of interest: http://lifehacker.com/5705582/avg-2011-update-crashes-64+bit-windows-7-pcs-heres-a-quick-fix
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
rjpjr

Post by rjpjr »

Thanks for that info.

I'm not running AVG, trend micro actually.

I was pretty sure it wasnt a rainmeter issue because we are not actually messing with the registry, but have you heard of anything like this before?
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

I doubt Rainmeter is causing the blue screens. Is the blue screen persistant? If so, make sure to take note of the STOP code and Google it to find likely causes.
ImageImageImageImage
phantomwhale

Post by phantomwhale »

How strange, have been getting almost daily BSODs on my computer, and the two significant things are I've upgraded the graphics card (460 GTX) and decided to play with Rainmeter again.

I have been turning my "potential problem" apps off one at a time to see what might be causing it, and since Rainmeter has been off, it's been three days and no BSOD...
I also was seeing glitches with Rainmeter, where the elements on my desktop turned into solid blocks, so something was interfering with the graphical elements. Top candidate is Fantasy Grounds, a virtual tabletop software which seems to do some non-standard display behaviour (candidate #1 for the BSODs, but I use it daily, and like I say, it's been three days)

Will keep an eye out for a STOP code if I get another one (which will probably vindicate Rainmeter too), but right now, they HAVE stopped...

Such Hubris ! BSOD about 12 hours after posting this. OK, so Rainmeter is probably NOT BSODing my computer. But still get the graphical glitches, and like the post below I have a new card with newish graphics driver (261.01 in my case - the recommended version from Gigabyte's website of my 460 GTX SE card)

Regards,
Ben
Last edited by phantomwhale on January 25th, 2011, 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I had a problem last night with my computer at some point freezing (required a full power off restart) with one of Rainmeter's "meters" (it was a single character string meter) turning into a solid block with some flickering artifacts in it. I think what it common to you and I is that you installed a new nVidia graphics card, and I installed the new nVidia drivers version 266.58 from their site a couple of days ago. Since I have NEVER had an issue with Rainmeter before, I am very suspicious of this new driver, and if it happens again will roll back.