It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:53 pm

ini file location question

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Pandora

ini file location question

Post by Pandora »

I'm currently running a default install of Rainmeter. As such, there are Rainmeter files in 3 different locations on my system. (I'm going to do something about that eventually).

My question is this: Which directory has the ini files that contain the information I have been giving Config apps from within Rainmeter? IE Gmail, Slideshow Path, RSS URL's, etc.

I've read all the help and for the life of me, I just can't figure this out. It's either post here or open up and look at files in 3 locations...eeesh! Heh.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: ini file location question

Post by jsmorley »

There are two places in a default installation that are important.

1) There is a file Rainmeter.ini that controls both some general Rainmeter settings and which skins are loaded by the app and where they are on the screen, etc. This is in:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\Rainmeter
Windows Vista & Win7: C:\Users\YourName\Appdata\Roaming\Rainmeter

2) The actual skin files, the GMail reader, the CPU monitor, etc. are kept a folder called Rainmeter\Skins in your My Documents folder:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents\Rainmeter\Skins
Windows Vista & Win7: C:\Users\YourName\My Documents\Rainmeter\Skins

This setup is primarily to support "standard" Windows file locations for apps, (Program Files) settings for apps (Appdata) and user data (My Documents) and to properly support UAC under Vista and Win7. If you want to simplify this, which particularly in XP does no harm, you can uninstall Rainmeter, reinstall it, BUT BEFORE you run it the first time (tell it not to run at the end of the installation) just rename C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Default.ini to C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini. Now start Rainmeter and proceed to install skins or edit things or whatever you like. EVERYTHING will be kept in folders under C:\Program Files\Rainmeter.

Note: For users on Vista or Win7, this CAN cause some issues with UAC, as Windows will want to restrict access to C:\Program Files to prevent malware / virus problems from corrupting or infecting applications. If you still wish to run "portable", it is best to change the default installation path of Rainmeter from C:\Program Files to some other unprotected location like C:\Rainmeter or something during the installation. Then before running it, do the above to make the installation "portable".
Pandora

Re: ini file location question

Post by Pandora »

Ah thank you! Saves me from hunting around big time! After spending the last few days playing with Rainmeter themes in general, I'm moving to the next phase, which is choosing which skins I want to use, and then editing code and adjusting / creating new graphics.