It is currently April 19th, 2024, 7:40 pm

Need Aministrative Privelages to edit skin in the Beta?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
JpsCrazy

Re: Need Aministrative Privelages to edit skin in the Beta?

Post by JpsCrazy »

- I installed Rainmeter JUST for this file, not all files. I ran the installer from this file by 'Run as...' Administrator.

- My Skins folder is not in a default location. (\My Documents\Other Things\Applications\Rainmeter)
My Documents hasn't been moved, but the skins folder is. I did this with 1.1 and didn't have a problem. Sorry for the confusion.

- Umm... crap. So. I NEVER install things to 'Program Files' on this computer and RainEnv only works if it's there. Reason:
It's a school's laptop. I'm not supposed have anything extra installed. And so they block installing things to 'Program Files' folder. I installed them in my \My Documents\Other Things\Applications folder, so it doesn't look suspicious. And sadly, the IT guy doesn't notice a thing. Point being, anyone can install there, but not Program Files. I got an Administrative account, and can, but choose not to 9/10 times.
Alright. Redoing EVERYTHING we've talked about in here. It'll take some time...

(EDIT)
Alright. So. I installed it under Program Files. Ran it. Tried to edit a skin through Rainmeter. No problem.
Now I just have to ask... why couldn't I when it wasn't in the Program Files folder?
Last edited by JpsCrazy on April 21st, 2010, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I think you might want to run Rainmeter in "Portable" mode given your situation.

http://rainmeter.net/cms/Installation

Get rid of everything. (back up any custom skins or changed skins)

Install Rainmeter to some folder like C:\Rainmeter or someplace where you have full privileges.

BEFORE you run Rainmeter, rename Default.ini to Rainmeter.ini.

Now the app, your skins and everything else will be in that one folder, completely owned and controlled by you.
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

Alright. So. I installed it under Program Files. Ran it. Tried to edit a skin through Rainmeter. No problem.
Now I just have to ask... why couldn't I when it wasn't in the Program Files folder?

And there's no Portable for the beta. Ahaa.
I got it to work anyways.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

JpsCrazy wrote:Alright. So. I installed it under Program Files. Ran it. Tried to edit a skin through Rainmeter. No problem.

And there's no Portable for the beta. Ahaa.
I got it to work anyways.
See the post before your last...
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

Alright. Deleted every scrap of Rainmeter from my computer. (Aside from custom skins)
Reinstalled Rainmeter Beta 1.2 to /My Documents/Other Stuff/Applications using a non-administrative account (I have full rights there) (Didn't add the custom skins yet)
I changed Default.ini to Rainmeter.ini. Ran it. And right clicked on a skin, went to Skin Menu --> Edit Skin... and the Run As... dialog popped up. I chose to run it under the Non-Administrative account, and it let me.
So. It works. It's just going to get annoying fast. Ahaa.

Any reason the Run As... dialog pops up?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

JpsCrazy wrote:Alright. Deleted every scrap of Rainmeter from my computer. (Aside from custom skins)
Reinstalled Rainmeter Beta 1.2 to /My Documents/Other Stuff/Applications using a non-administrative account (I have full rights there) (Didn't add the custom skins yet)
I changed Default.ini to Rainmeter.ini. Ran it. And right clicked on a skin, went to Skin Menu --> Edit Skin... and the Run As... dialog popped up. I chose to run it under the Non-Administrative account, and it let me.
So. It works. It's just going to get annoying fast. Ahaa.

Any reason the Run As... dialog pops up?
Clearly there is some restriction on that My Documents folder you are using. I just can't replicate your setup (nor would I want to) or the problem. I suggest installing Rainmeter in portable mode as I described, but in another folder that you create from scratch on your C: drive and are sure you have full ownership of and control over.
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

I've never found a problem installing there with anything else, but I'll take your word for it.

I'll just reinstall it Program Files. It seemed to work there.