It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:10 am

Need Aministrative Privelages to edit skin in the Beta?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
JpsCrazy

Need Aministrative Privelages to edit skin in the Beta?

Post by JpsCrazy »

First off - I have WinXP.
It's technically the school's computer for the next few months... but I have an administrative account anyways.
Point being, I should only have a standard account, which I what I regularly use.

I had the stable Rainbrowser, and was just skimming around the forums today and thought 'Meh. Why not upgrade to the Beta?' So I did, and I tinkered around a bit.
And now whenever I try to edit a skin by right clicking on it and choosing the Edit option under Skin Settings it says I need Administrative privelages.
I can edit Rainmeter's settings, but not a specific skin's.
I'm just using Notepad to view/edit them, and the skins are located in my My Documents. (But not in the default location.)
I can edit them by going to their location and opening them, but it's so much more tedious.
Any reason I cannot edit them without the privelages through Rainmeter?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Need Aministrative Privelages to edit skin in the Beta?

Post by jsmorley »

JpsCrazy wrote:First off - I have WinXP.
It's technically the school's computer for the next few months... but I have an administrative account anyways.
Point being, I should only have a standard account, which I what I regularly use.

I had the stable Rainbrowser, and was just skimming around the forums today and thought 'Meh. Why not upgrade to the Beta?' So I did, and I tinkered around a bit.
And now whenever I try to edit a skin by right clicking on it and choosing the Edit option under Skin Settings it says I need Administrative privelages.
I can edit Rainmeter's settings, but not a specific skin's.
I'm just using Notepad to view/edit them, and the skins are located in my My Documents. (But not in the default location.)
I can edit them by going to their location and opening them, but it's so much more tedious.
Any reason I cannot edit them without the privelages through Rainmeter?
Try exiting Rainmeter and restarting it from the shortcut in the start menu. Still have the problem?
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

jsmorley wrote:Try exiting Rainmeter and restarting it from the shortcut in the start menu. Still have the problem?
Yes. I was using the shortcut on the desktop originally, but I tried the start menu shortcut, and that didn't work. I also tried the actual .exe, which had the same result.

On another note - occaisonally when Rainmeter runs everything is super faded, way past what I have it on. This happened with 1.1 as well. Usually when I exit out and open up a new one fairly quickly.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Let's try something. Exit Rainmeter and install the appropriate version below for your system:

Rainmeter-1.2-r386-32bit-beta.exe

Rainmeter-1.2-r386-64bit-beta.exe

Now is it working correctly?
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

I just got the Beta earliar today, but I'll try it.
*Que Jeopardy music...*
Well, I installed it, but I needed an Administrator account to do so.
So I did 'Right click' --> 'Run as...' and did an Administartor account.
And I ran it under my Non-administrative account and got the same error.
I'm guessing that's the issue, but why can I run everything and edit it manually, just not launched through Rainmeter?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Ok, give us some time to look into this.
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

Alright, take your time. It's not a major issue, just a little nuisance.
If you need any more info from me, just let me know.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Looking at it...

I can't seem to make it fail.

Installed XP mode. Installed Rainmeter in XP for "All Users". Ran it, no problem. Edit Skins, no problem.

Created a second account. Ran already installed Rainmeter. It created a new set of skins under the My Documents for that user and a new Rainmeter.ini in APPDATA for that user. No problem. Edit Skins, no problem.

Changed the SkinsPath= in the second account's Rainmeter.ini to the FIRST account's My Documents. Thought it would hate that for sure. Ran Rainmeter. No problem. Used the other user's My Documents just fine. Edit Skins, no problem.

Not sure what kind of setup you are running in, but I can't replicate the problem.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

JpsCrazy wrote: I'm just using Notepad to view/edit them, and the skins are located in my My Documents. (But not in the default location.)
Do you mean the skins are not in the default location or My Documents is not in the default location?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Get this file:
RainEnv.zip
Unzip it an put the .exe in a new folder in C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Addons\RainEnv

So you will have C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Addons\RainEnv\RainEnv.exe

Run it as Administrator.

Paste the RainEnv.txt file it will create in a reply to this post. Use the "Spoiler" above the message body when you are creating the reply, so the long text is inside spoiler /spoiler tags.

Since it is editing "skins" that is the issue, and not editing "settings", I am leery of this "My Documents in a non-standard location" thing. Let's see what we have going.