It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:40 am

SKINSPATH availability command line

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
DeoMortis

SKINSPATH availability command line

Post by DeoMortis »

Hi. I want to modify and refresh a skin using a command line. I tried to follow docs but I got stuck.

What i've found working is

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe" [!WriteKeyValue Variables PaletteColor1 255,255,0 "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Fountain of Colors\@Resources\Variables.inc"][!Refresh "Fountain Of Colors"]
That forces me to know the username. I tried to mingle with #SKINSPATH# however I cannot make it work :confused:

"C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe" [!WriteKeyValue Variables PaletteColor1 255,255,0 "#SKINSPATH#Fountain of Colors\@Resources\Variables.inc"][!Refresh "Fountain Of Colors"]
To no avail. In logs i get:

ERRO (19:30:50.650) : !WriteKeyValue: Illegal path: #SKINSPATH#Fountain of Colors\@Resources\Variables.inc
Help much appreciated.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: SKINSPATH availability command line

Post by balala »

DeoMortis wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:40 pm I want to modify and refresh a skin using a command line. I tried to follow docs but I got stuck.

What i've found working is

"C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe" [!WriteKeyValue Variables PaletteColor1 255,255,0 "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Fountain of Colors\@Resources\Variables.inc"][!Refresh "Fountain Of Colors"]
That forces me to know the username.
What exactly do you mean by "forces me to know the username"? Because I tried this command and it did perfectly work for me. I got both, written the PaletteColor1 variable and refreshing the skin.
DeoMortis wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:40 pm I tried to mingle with #SKINSPATH# however I cannot make it work :confused:

"C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe" [!WriteKeyValue Variables PaletteColor1 255,255,0 "#SKINSPATH#Fountain of Colors\@Resources\Variables.inc"][!Refresh "Fountain Of Colors"]
To no avail. In logs i get:

ERRO (19:30:50.650) : !WriteKeyValue: Illegal path: #SKINSPATH#Fountain of Colors\@Resources\Variables.inc
This is normal, because you can use the built-in Rainmeter variables (like #SKINSPATH#) only on Rainmeter environment. You can't use them in a command line environment.
DeoMortis

Post by DeoMortis »

If i wanted to use it by any other user on my machine or release to the wide audience. I guess generally I could use %USERPROFILE%
but what if somebody had the skins in another location? Outside %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins can that happen? How would I know it then?

That's why I wanted to use anything that rainmeter gives me. It should certainly know where is the skin he refreshes. Right? Since [!Refresh "Fountain Of Colors"] works without providing any path.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

DeoMortis wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:47 pm Since [!Refresh "Fountain Of Colors"] works without providing any path.
Yes, because what are you refreshing (in this case Fountain Of Colors) is a config. You don't have to give the whole path of a config, only its name. Rainmeter knows what you meant.
DeoMortis wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:47 pm If i wanted to use it by any other user on my machine or release to the wide audience. I guess generally I could use %USERPROFILE%
but what if somebody had the skins in another location? Outside %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins can that happen? How would I know it then?
Unfortunately I'm using alone my computer, so have no more users. Accordingly I can't say what's going on when there are more. So someone else will be needed here to assist you.
Sorry, but me personally can't help you more here.
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

DeoMortis wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:47 pm If i wanted to use it by any other user on my machine or release to the wide audience. I guess generally I could use %USERPROFILE%
This also assumes that a user has the skins on the C drive. Personally I have them on My D drive as I have a portable version as well as the installed version so I can test the beta version and I want them to both see the same skin files. I don't think you can find out as every user could be different.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page