It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:05 pm

Rainmeter loading only when offline.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Raphlesia

Rainmeter loading only when offline.

Post by Raphlesia »

Since i gave up months ago desperately trying to run Rainmeter, I have decided now to create a account hoping to solve my issue.

I have been searching the forums occasionally, But I only found one similar problem.

Pretty much what title says Rainmeter only loads normally when disconnected from network, However when connected online, It freezes or runs very slow.

My PC specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Memory
Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

Running on Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Rainmeter 1.1 64-bit

I'm connected with a cable modem via USB, I'm also currently not running any anti virus program at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you for you're time.
heath28m

Re: Rainmeter loading only when offline.

Post by heath28m »

Is there a particular configuration you are running?

I am not an expert, but I would make sure you copy and rename your original Rainmeter.ini ( for backup ) ..file located in Program Files.. then open the file in Notepad.. and clear all of its contents..save the file.. and try to start Rainmeter.. This could help it may not.. Really depends on why this is happening, but I suggest this as the original INI can have entries for skins and others which could possibly interfere if something was wrong in the right way with them..or if by default it is trying to load a configuration which has specific hardware or location entries ( which shouldn't crash Rainmeter ).. but may not work as desired..

You can also do a scan with Prevx or Hitman Pro and see if you come up with any alerts from the Rainmeter Program Files folder and your default Skin folder.. I have run across some packaged skins which have both false positives.. and malicious files in the past.. Just a thought..

I run mine as an Administrator as well.. not for sure if I have to or not.. but you can also go to Proerties and change the compatibility settings for it nd see it that actually occurs again.
Last edited by heath28m on April 10th, 2010, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Close Rainmeter, and delete the following file: %APPDATA%\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini (remember to backup).

Then start Rainmeter and check if it still runs slow (you'll need to open your skins from tray icon).
Raphlesia

Post by Raphlesia »

heath28m wrote:Is there a particular configuration you are running?I am not an expert, but I would make sure you copy and rename your original Rainmeter.ini ( for backup ) ..file located in Program Files.. then open the file in Notepad.. and clear all of its contents..save the file.. and try to start Rainmeter
poiru wrote:Close Rainmeter, and delete the following file: %APPDATA%\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini (remember to backup).Then start Rainmeter and check if it still runs slow (you'll need to open your skins from tray icon).
I have tried both methods, It may seem to have something to do with the ini file, And It does load fine, However there are no skins to load, Everything is empty, I have tried adding a skin and refreshing, But that did not change anything either.

I personally don't have experience with rainmeter, But i can't seem to atleast get past the first step by running default skins normally without having to freeze, Once i ever get past that i don't think there should be any problems using It.

Again much appreciated for the help, Will hope for more replies and someone more familiar with the issue.
heath28m

Post by heath28m »

Okay yeah.. you should add the line below back into the empty Rainmeter.ini in your C:\Users\'account name'\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter directory.. This will indicate the location of your Rainmeter Skins Directory.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
SkinPath=C:\Users\'account name'\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
This can be changed to where ever else it may be as well.. but needs to be there or else Rainmeter will not know of its relative directories called within each config..

EDIT: I also read on the forum today that there are issues with ESET and Rainmeter and that if you have issues with it running you should add Rainmeter to the exclusions list.. so depending on your Protection setup.. you might want to consider this as well..