It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:32 am

CPU at 40% with simple skin

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Radoslav

CPU at 40% with simple skin

Post by Radoslav »

Hey guys,

I just tried Rainmeter for first time and it's great, but my CPU is constantly sitting at 38-40% usage from Rainmeter only.

I've tried lowering the update value to -1 or to 1000 and i've even deleted the [Refresh!] tag from the mouse movement line, but the usage haven't dropped a bit.

RAM usage is 41MB, but CPU is sky rocket (my cpu is i5-7600 it's not that weak :lol: )

I used this link to set it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHj0juUACFk and I'm currently running just audio visualizer (i know they might be cpu heavy, but 40%? Also tried to disable it, not big difference), clock and the dock bar with some icon modification

I saw that a lot of you are coding and doing skins alone, but I'm not on that level. Just regular user with very basic computer skills.

Any ideas how to fix the cpu usage? :)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: CPU at 40% with simple skin

Post by balala »

Radoslav wrote: October 4th, 2020, 1:43 pm Any ideas how to fix the cpu usage? :)
I suppose one of the used skin might cause this. What you can try is to unload the loaded skins one by one. After you're unloading a skin, wait a few minutes to see if the CPU usage decreses. If it doesn't, unload the next skin and check again the usage. This way after a while you should identify the skin which cases this problem. If you did find it, please post its name and a link where we can download the skin, to can check it.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

dvo wrote: October 4th, 2020, 2:32 pm 32 bands equalizer balala the rest looks normal , yahoo weather... ;-)
Can't follow you. What is with the 32 bands equalizer (which in fact is probably a visualizer, not an equalizer, but this doesn't matter too much) and what with Yahoo Weather?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

dvo wrote: October 4th, 2020, 2:52 pm tested it all in the pack nothing is runnig 40% with me... visualizer it is... getting on all max 25% all one by one... 32 bands visualizer seems to be oke.. it seems the skin maker likes a fast update it set on 0 or 2 instead of the normal settings... i think this is increasing the cpu load..
the dock and visualizer are set very low.... 0 and 2 all skins next to my standaard 6 skins...
if you set the update in you visualizer and rainmeterdock a bit higher it will cost you less cpu ...
Yes, but I'm not sure at all which skin is the OP talking about, so I'm still waiting for his reply.
Radoslav

Post by Radoslav »

Well, thank you!

It seems it's the Rainmeter Dock ...

Everything else without the dock is running at 0%, but with the dock enabled it goes to 40...

I don't remember doing any modification in the settings of the dock station except changing some apps, logos and links.

Is it possible the logos which are somewhere between 10 and 30KB, compared to 1-5KB for the default ones?

I've attached the setting files of the dock. Any ideas ? :/
Rainmeter Dock.ini
(20.48 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
dock.png
ps/ yes, that's the skin I'm using (the one from the YouTube video)
Radoslav

Post by Radoslav »

Yes, this worked, but it's not smooth at all

Any option to enable update only when the mouse passes over?

I think I've deleted two attributes which were supposed to do that?

Also, update was set to "-1". I thought this should have disabled the update at all.

edit/ managed to fix the icons.

I think everything is fine now :)

Thank you.

Any other advice for this skin or in particular for new user? :)
Last edited by Radoslav on October 4th, 2020, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

dvo wrote: October 4th, 2020, 3:32 pm blalala dock has a update of 2 instead of a normal update

set in the dock ini a value of

Code: Select all

update=1000
and if it's not smooth take it lower otherwise how higher it goes oke how less cpu you are using....
dvo wrote: October 4th, 2020, 3:41 pm with the -1 it will not update minimal on update will be 16
No, Update=-1 means no update at all, except the very first moment when the skin is loaded or refreshed. This is ok, it for sure doesn't cause an increase of the CPU usage.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Radoslav wrote: October 4th, 2020, 3:29 pm I've attached the setting files of the dock. Any ideas ? :/

Rainmeter Dock.ini
Yes, but unfortunately this code doesn't help too much, because beside the skin, there is an included file (@Resources\Variables.inc) and a few images (kept by the Icon1NameAndPath - Icon9NameAndPath variables). So the best would by you to pack the whole config which contains the posted Rainmeter Dock.ini skin and upload the package. This way we'd have all needed files (including Variables.inc, as well as the needed images) and would be much simpler for us to can check what's going on.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

dvo wrote: October 4th, 2020, 3:48 pm balala it was set on 2 so : update=2 minimal is 16
Where have you found the Update=2? Because I still sustain the posted skin has the Update set to -1.
But even if it is set as you say to Update=2, Rainmeter uses the closest valid value, so Update=16.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

dvo wrote: October 4th, 2020, 3:58 pm in visualizer i found :

[Rainmeter]
Update=0
and in the dock i found the : // even on 1000 it's snappy over here.. //

[Rainmeter]
Update=2
Tanjim The Tech Guy
In both tskins Rainmeter uses Update=16, the closest valid value.
But where have you found those skins? There has been posted only one .ini file, the Rainmeter Dock.ini.