It is currently October 19th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Is It Possible to have 2 Instances of Rainmeter Running Simultaneously?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Yincognito

Re: Is It Possible to have 2 Instances of Rainmeter Running Simultaneously?

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: September 26th, 2020, 11:48 pm I agree completely. I have been going about this the wrong way entirely. :oops:
After you mentioning a culprit might exist, I immediately thought of a couple candidates. :twisted:
There are four, and separately they run but if more than one the issue resurfaces. :twisted:
So without these 'candidates' my Rainmeter starts on the first try in UAC mode. :thumbup:
So, I will attach these culprits here but perhaps we should move over to the Skins Help forum? :bow:
PC Stats Bugged Somehow_xx.xx.rmskin
Hmm...I don't know - it's up to you if you want to create another thread for this or not. From a topic point of view this could continue here as the issues are related, but if you think it will have more visibility in the Skins Help section, feel free to create a thread for it. :confused:

Generally though, the debugging aspect of the code is the job of the skin designer - I don't know if you'll find folks willing to test each skin for you in the 2 admin + non admin instances' scenario and walking though all the lines of the code to find what causes the misbehavior. That being said, make sure you point out which are those 4 potential culprits (from the more than 4 INI files in the package) and in what circumstances Rainmeter doesn't start from the 1st try.
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Yincognito wrote: September 27th, 2020, 12:12 am Hmm...I don't know - it's up to you if you want to create another thread for this or not. From a topic point of view this could continue here as the issues are related, but if you think it will have more visibility in the Skins Help section, feel free to create a thread for it. :confused:

Generally though, the debugging aspect of the code is the job of the skin designer - I don't know if you'll find folks willing to test each skin for you in the 2 admin + non admin instances' scenario and walking though all the lines of the code to find what causes the misbehavior. That being said, make sure you point out which are those 4 potential culprits (from the more than 4 INI files in the package) and in what circumstances Rainmeter doesn't start from the 1st try.
Ok. I am going to digress. :vomit:
I will get going on debugging on my own for now.
Mostly these have been designed or redesigned completely by me, so I am pretty sure there are going to be many reboots going, and no one should do that for me.

Thanks, since I can now start Rainmeter on the first try now - so mission accomplished LOL. :lol:
Can't fix it if it ain't broke - unless it is in code.
Yincognito

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: September 27th, 2020, 12:19 am Ok. I am going to digress. :vomit:
I will get going on debugging on my own for now.
Mostly these have been designed or redesigned completely by me, so I am pretty sure there are going to be many reboots going, and no one should do that for me.

Thanks, since I can now start Rainmeter on the first try now - so mission accomplished LOL. :lol:
No problem - good luck in finding the culprit! ;-) You don't necessarily have to reboot to test such things though (unless the issue happens only when starting the 2 Rainmeters imediately after reboot - and if so, then the problem might be that they're doing something too early on), trying to restart the 2 Rainmeter instances (i.e. close, then execute again) should be enough and would considerably speed up the process. Also, try to look for things that conflict with each other, access the same resource, write to the same place, or otherwise deal with related operating system resources, that kind of stuff - once you get past the "which INI is the bad guy here?" and get to "what line is behaving like a jerk here?".
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Yep. of the6 or 7 skins in that pack, i only used 5.
Of those 5, i really only would really like to keep 1: the "fancy net" one.

I am going to sift through it and make it shorter horizontally and taller vertically, so possibly in this rewrite, the (if any singular) issue can be corrected.
Can't fix it if it ain't broke - unless it is in code.