It is currently July 10th, 2020, 1:50 pm

All Rainmeter Weather Skins refuse to load

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
User avatar
Yincognito
Posts: 1893
Joined: February 27th, 2015, 2:38 pm
Location: Terra Yincognita

Re: All Rainmeter Weather Skins refuse to load

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 11:46 am
I have seen no evidence yet that there is any need to make this super-complicated. If there becomes a real, demonstrable situation where we are randomly getting two distinct, in and of themselves consistent formats from weather.com, and that is the world we have to live in, then something like that would be required. I don't see any benefit for TWC to maintain two different formats of the JSON in the long term, that would have nothing to do with desktop vs. mobile, and while I may be missing something, I don't foresee that going forward.

Time will tell of course, and there may be a single, permanent(ish) change to the format. That wouldn't surprise me in the least. I don't see the cost-benefit for them in maintaining two, and then just randomly sending one of them out based on what, astrological signs or studying sheep entrails?
They do maintain not two, but three JSON formats (V1 is still usable, you know...), actually, but that is not the question. The question is which of those formats are delivered to the user, and if the delivered format is subject to version change (like it happened recently). It might have been a temporary glitch, something exclusively cookie related, or it might be part of the short or medium term future. The thing is, they don't care which format they have in the page source (as we do, because of parsing it), since their Javascript code can read either of them - so this format switch doesn't impede their functionality in any way (which means it could happen again).

Anyway, I'm also curious how long this stability will last. :D
User avatar
jsmorley
Developer
Posts: 21010
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Location: Fort Hunt, Virginia, USA

Re: All Rainmeter Weather Skins refuse to load

Post by jsmorley »

We will see. It makes no sense at all to me for them to "actively" maintain more than one version of the JSON at a time. Certainly as the format presumably evolves over time, there can be "transition" periods, much like the fact that while some percentage of the world is currently getting the new Windows 10 version 2004 delivered to them, not everyone is, yet. As you say, this transition may be painless and of no consequence to them, as they are not "parsing" anything, while it is of some annoyance to us if there is not some definable, consistent rule for how the change is rolled out to their servers. However, I resist that the long-term outlook is that they are going to randomly output the latest version or one of some "deprecated" versions without some logical basis.

I don't see this as an issue of "desktop" vs. "mobile", as that makes no sense at all to me. The entire point of JSON is to separate and segregate the "front-end" from the "back-end", so you can have one data set that can seamlessly be handled by any user interface. There is literally no other purpose for JSON or XML. There is no evidence of that in any case right now, as setting the UserAgent very specifically to a desktop browser did / does not solve the problem.
User avatar
Yincognito
Posts: 1893
Joined: February 27th, 2015, 2:38 pm
Location: Terra Yincognita

Re: All Rainmeter Weather Skins refuse to load

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 12:17 pm
We will see. It makes no sense at all to me for them to "actively" maintain more than one version of the JSON at a time. Certainly as the format presumably evolves over time, there can be "transition" periods, much like the fact that while some percentage of the world is currently getting the new Windows 10 version 2004 delivered to them, not everyone is, yet. As you say, this transition may be painless and of no consequence to them, as they are not "parsing" anything, while it is of some annoyance to us if there is not some definable, consistent rule for how the change is rolled out to their servers. However, I resist that the long-term outlook is that they are going to randomly output the latest version or one of some "deprecated" versions without some logical basis.
I agree with you, at least from a theoretical or common sense point of view. That being said, I don't think anyone is aware of the logical basis of them practically delivering an inconsistent version format recently. I'm not even sure it has to do with logic, because if that's so, then why we seem to be stable for now with V2 (which can be considered "deprecated" compared to V3, as you pointed out)? :confused:

Bottom line, I'm not going to bother deciphering the reasoning (if any) behind these issues recently, as it's a dead end, in my view. It's enough for me that this kind of things are possible to happen without notice - which is why I said what I said. Like mentioned before in another thread, I believe that asking someone (you, in this case) to build a regex for one's own skins is lacking a bit of common sense, and I would never do that. You already do much for the community and if one calls himself a skin developer, he'll build the regex on his own and not ask for someone else to do it just because he's not in the mood to waste time on this. :oops:

In other words, what I wrote was just a (hopefully, helpful, if necessary) idea on how to handle these issues in the future. I didn't imply you'd have to do it, or that you'd have to do it now. Just another option, besides the already existing ones. ;-)
jsmorley wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 12:17 pm
I don't see this as an issue of "desktop" vs. "mobile", as that makes no sense at all to me. The entire point of JSON is to separate and segregate the "front-end" from the "back-end", so you can have one data set that can seamlessly be handled by any user interface. There is literally no other purpose for JSON or XML. There is no evidence of that in any case right now, as setting the UserAgent very specifically to a desktop browser did / does not solve the problem.
True, but if I'm not mistaken, setting the UserAgent to a mobile one does seem to "force" a specific version (i.e. V3) over the other (i.e. V2), right? At least this is what has been reported by others, as far as I know.
User avatar
JohnBurns
Posts: 61
Joined: February 11th, 2011, 4:18 pm
Location: Oklahoma City

Re: All Rainmeter Weather Skins refuse to load

Post by JohnBurns »

Can't get any weather skins to load today. Will just be patient and wait - no big problem, I guess.
Microsoft Windows 10 x64 v2004 (OS Build 19041.264
Resident: Windows Defender, Cox McAfee Total Protection, Malwarebytes Premium 4.1.0, Windows UAC at highest level, HitmanProAlert 3.8.1
On Demand: Emisisoft Emergency Kit, MRT
Backup: Macrium Reflect Home 7.2 (Daily), Bvckup2 Pro (Continuous)
Browser: Vivaldi
Desktop: Open Shell, Rainmeter
User avatar
balala
Rainmeter Sage
Posts: 10998
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 6:27 pm
Location: Gheorgheni, Romania

Re: All Rainmeter Weather Skins refuse to load

Post by balala »

JohnBurns wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 1:45 pm
Can't get any weather skins to load today. Will just be patient and wait - no big problem, I guess.
Not just to promote my own work, but did you try the Weather skin of my Mirage suite (if you wanna try it, recommend version 1.1)? Because it still does work for me and would be curious if it does for you as well.
User avatar
JohnBurns
Posts: 61
Joined: February 11th, 2011, 4:18 pm
Location: Oklahoma City

Re: All Rainmeter Weather Skins refuse to load

Post by JohnBurns »

I think Rainmeter is being sabotaged. What with DeviantArt being almost unusable for viewing Rainmeter skins, Rainmeter weather skins working intermittently, etc, someone who doesn't like Rainmeter must be conspiring against us. :o
Microsoft Windows 10 x64 v2004 (OS Build 19041.264
Resident: Windows Defender, Cox McAfee Total Protection, Malwarebytes Premium 4.1.0, Windows UAC at highest level, HitmanProAlert 3.8.1
On Demand: Emisisoft Emergency Kit, MRT
Backup: Macrium Reflect Home 7.2 (Daily), Bvckup2 Pro (Continuous)
Browser: Vivaldi
Desktop: Open Shell, Rainmeter
User avatar
Yincognito
Posts: 1893
Joined: February 27th, 2015, 2:38 pm
Location: Terra Yincognita

Re: All Rainmeter Weather Skins refuse to load

Post by Yincognito »

JohnBurns wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 2:08 pm
I think Rainmeter is being sabotaged. What with DeviantArt being almost unusable for viewing Rainmeter skins, Rainmeter weather skins working intermittently, etc, someone who doesn't like Rainmeter must be conspiring against us. :o
It's a possibility I already thought of. :sly: Thought about a name as well... 8-)
User avatar
balala
Rainmeter Sage
Posts: 10998
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 6:27 pm
Location: Gheorgheni, Romania

Re: All Rainmeter Weather Skins refuse to load

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 2:13 pm
Thought about a name as well...
:o
What would be that?
User avatar
Yincognito
Posts: 1893
Joined: February 27th, 2015, 2:38 pm
Location: Terra Yincognita

Re: All Rainmeter Weather Skins refuse to load

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 3:19 pm
:o
What would be that?
I'll keep it for myself for the moment. I don't like to make mistakes in judgement calls, and I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories either. It's more like a "list of suspects", if you know what I mean.
User avatar
balala
Rainmeter Sage
Posts: 10998
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 6:27 pm
Location: Gheorgheni, Romania

Re: All Rainmeter Weather Skins refuse to load

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 3:45 pm
I'll keep it for myself for the moment. I don't like to make mistakes in judgement calls, and I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories either. It's more like a "list of suspects", if you know what I mean.
Alright. I'd be extremely curious, however I understand if you don't want to name anyone.