It is currently April 25th, 2024, 9:35 am

OPEN and CLOSE HWINFO

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: OPEN and CLOSE HWINFO

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: April 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm Yes. It is a program that must be run "As Administrator", and thus can only be killed "As Administrator".
Oh, sorry in this case. I'm going to edit my post striking my reply.
Sorry if I did create an inconvenience with my reply.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: April 11th, 2020, 7:11 pm Oh, sorry in this case. I'm going to edit my post striking my reply.
Sorry if I did create an inconvenience with my reply.
Your approach is fine, if you simply replace the call to taskkill.exe in the RunCommand measure to a call to KillHWiNFO.exe instead.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: April 11th, 2020, 7:17 pm Your approach is fine, if you simply replace the call to taskkill.exe in the RunCommand measure to a call to KillHWiNFO.exe instead.
Probably. Can't say, since as said I'm not using HWiNFO, so don't know KillHWiNFO.exe.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: April 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm Yes. It is a program that must be run "As Administrator", and thus can only be killed "As Administrator".

taskkill.exe is not a Windows application, and has no ability to ask for administrator privileges itself. Whatever command environment it is run in must be run "As Administrator" or have the ability to request an escalation from Windows. The RunCommand plugin does not have this ability, and so any call to taskkill.exe that tries to kill a "protected" application will simply fail.

The AutoIt program I wrote does have the ability to request escalation from Windows, and although this will cause a UAC prompt requesting confirmation from you, it will work.
There could have been another way of doing this ... if HWiNFO had a parameter that you can execute with, so that it closes itself. Say, HWiNFO.exe -close or something like that. But apparently, according to their forums, such functionality might be only available in HWiNFO SDK, and the limited functionality of their hotkeys doesn't help in this case either (in order to be taken advantage of using Rainmeter's own Hotkey plugin)...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
PHILleHUt

Post by PHILleHUt »

welll don't worry.....

It's coool for U to help me
:great: Thanks for All :great:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: April 11th, 2020, 7:32 pm There could have been another way of doing this ... if HWiNFO had a parameter that you can execute with, so that it closes itself.
Yes, but it's not needed in my opinion, since KillHWiNFO.exe does exist (as jsmorley said - and if he said, I suppose he is right). It can be used, don't overcomplicate things...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: April 11th, 2020, 8:42 pm Yes, but it's not needed in my opinion, since KillHWiNFO.exe does exist (as jsmorley said - and if he said, I suppose he is right). It can be used, don't overcomplicate things...
Okeydokey then, no overcomplication. Keeping it simple: kill the hardware, kill the info. :thumbup:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: April 11th, 2020, 9:39 pm Okeydokey then, no overcomplication. Keeping it simple: kill the hardware, kill the info. :thumbup:
I can confidently say that KillHWiNFO.exe exists, since I wrote it... ;-)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: April 11th, 2020, 10:50 pm I can confidently say that KillHWiNFO.exe exists, since I wrote it... ;-)
I know - I was just joking around with killing the hardware and its info... :lol:
I don't want to suffocate any computer, so everything is cool. :twisted:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: April 11th, 2020, 10:50 pm I can confidently say that KillHWiNFO.exe exists, since I wrote it... ;-)
Oh, congratulations in this case. Didn't know, but as said, I'm not knowing HWiNFO, so no wonder...
And additionally a huge thanks for all the work you do for all of us.