It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:36 pm

Rainmeter Installing Error

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
dedelogx

Rainmeter Installing Error

Post by dedelogx »

Hello

My Problem ist, when i install Rainmeter everyone finnish, but when rainmeter start after that. It says "There are no Skins in C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\" but when i see in the Folder everyone is okay.

Can someone help me?

Greetings
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter Installing Error

Post by balala »

dedelogx wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 6:46 pm My Problem ist, when i install Rainmeter everyone finnish, but when rainmeter start after that. It says "There are no Skins in C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\" but when i see in the Folder everyone is okay.
The path of skins is rarely C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\. I doubt this would be your setting. So you should check the settings. For this, right click the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area and click Edit settings. The Rainmeter.ini opens in your default text editor. Check the SkinPath option within the [Rainmeter] section. Is it correct?
Just note that in most cases the skins are stored into the C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder. Some details: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/skins/#FilesFolders
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Rainmeter simply CANNOT be installed in "portable mode" in the C:\Program Files folder in Windows. Windows security properly will not allow that to work. Rainmeter can be installed there, but then when it first starts, it will have no permission to deploy the default skins to that folder, and will never be able to install skins from a .rmskin. Once an application is installed in C:\Program Files, which you will be prompted by UAC to allow, it will then have NO ability to further write to that folder during normal operations.

This is just how Windows works, and for all kinds of reasons, mostly having to do with avoiding trojans, malware, and viruses, it is absolutely correct. Do you REALLY want .rmskin files you get from god-knows-where on the internet to be able to write to your C:\Program Files folder?

To be technically correct, you can overcome this, but it means turning off UAC, and running Rainmeter as an Administrator. If you do this, you run the risk of being considered a fool. Enjoy having your system turned into a bitcoin mining zombie within a day.

Delete C:\Program Files\Rainmeter and start over.

Either install Rainmeter in "normal mode", where Rainmeter will be in C:\Program Files\Rainmeter, settings will be in ..AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter, and skins will be in ..Documents\Rainmeter, OR install Rainmeter in "portable mode", but be sure to install it in a folder that isn't protected by the operating system.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 7:45 pm Rainmeter simply CANNOT be installed in "portable mode" in the C:\Program Files folder in Windows.
Do you think dedelogx has installed Rainmeter in portable mode? Didn't think to this...
dedelogx

Post by dedelogx »

Thanks, that could be a problem, but now i reinstalled Rainmeter on Desktop (i think that wasnt a good idea) it need like 30mins and then i close it in the task manager. Then i deleted and removed the software and all files.

Now i want to reinstall Rainmeter. My Problem is now:

I Cant edit the target directory. I cant click on it and i cant edit the text, i can only install it in the programm files.

Help me ;x
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dedelogx wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 1:16 pm Thanks, that could be a problem, but now i reinstalled Rainmeter on Desktop (i think that wasnt a good idea) it need like 30mins and then i close it in the task manager. Then i deleted and removed the software and all files.

Now i want to reinstall Rainmeter. My Problem is now:

I Cant edit the target directory. I cant click on it and i cant edit the text, i can only install it in the programm files.

Help me ;x
You might try this:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/clean-rainmeter-uninstall/
dedelogx

Post by dedelogx »

Nah, i removed every file and complete every point in this tutorial. i dont help.
what now?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I guess I don't fully understand what you are getting.

If you install in "normal mode", you should get:

1.png

Followed by:

2.png

Then the program will be installed in C:\Program Files\Rainmeter, the settings will be in ..AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter, and the skins will be in ..Documents\Rainmeter. You won't have any choice about those locations.

If you install in "portable mode", you should get:

3.png

Followed by:

4.png

Then the program, settings and skins will all reside in the folder you define. Just be sure this folder is not a folder Windows "protects". You simply can't use C:\Program Files, and I strongly recommend against Desktop or Documents. Those folders can potentially be "protected" in Windows as well.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

If you are installing in "normal mode", and the install is not working properly, then I suspect there is some issue with the permissions of the account you are using, or some problem with some antivirus software on your system.

You might try 1) Turn off your antivirus temporarily, and 2) Run the installer "As Administrator".

You should also check this:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=30869#p157423
dedelogx

Post by dedelogx »

Thank you,

but another Problem:

I Have downloaded this Skin:
https://www.youtube.com/redirect?v=05TQESLydE0&redir_token=XdPl_QJKMtYshUVbyJOfVD5wrEh8MTU4MDgyNTY3MkAxNTgwNzM5Mjcy&event=video_description&q=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FVisualizerSkin

And when i open it it says this:
http://prntscr.com/qww9gj

What can i do? Im very confused, i only wanna fresh up my Desktop and nothing work