It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:37 pm

Rainmeter Causing Tooltips Issue

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
sl23

Re: Rainmeter Causing Tooltips Issue

Post by sl23 »

I've used it this way for around 7 years. Yes there are occasions when Windows Taskbar fights for position, but only when you click certain things in Windows or refresh the skins. It's my favourite skin as it's always accessible/visible without getting in the way.

But I just moved this skin down 2 pixels and the MuLab issue went away. This shows that any skin set to Stay Topmost that is NOT completely over the Taskbar, will interfere with other apps.

Just to double check this. I moved a second skin for volume control, also over the taskbar, 2 pixels up. The issue returned. So it's not just that specific skin.
- MuLab -
sl23

Post by sl23 »

I've been trying to sort this out and it seems odd how this is affecting apps just because it overlaps the taskbar. I wonder if something in the skin is causing the issue.

As stated, I have 2 skins on the Taskbar. One is a large combo of features the other a volume control and VU meter.
The Vol is not having an affect on other windows as it is only 40px high.

The main skin I use, is 42px high so hangs slightly above the Win10 Taskbar. This is what is causing the issue it seems. When I adjust this skin to not appear above the taskbar, the problem goes away. So I adjusted it's height to 40px and also adjusted everything in the skin to suit. The problem seemed ok, at first. Then it happened again!

So I moved this skin down 1px and the problem again disappeared. What the hell is going on with it?

What's even stranger is that the MiniLaunch skin I made is above that one and has no affect on anything??? How is it that one skin affects mouse functions, but another doesn't? I would say there's something in that skin causing a problem, which it shouldn't be doing.

Could you please have a look at this?

Thanks
- MuLab -
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

There is nothing I can think of to do really. I don't have your skins, and I don't have, and don't want, the application you are using. It is just far to difficult for me to replicate the entirety of the setup you have. All I can say is that I have never had any issue with conflicting tooltips, as long as there is no conflict with mouse detection. If a skin, even an "invisible" part of a skin, is "in front" of some other application window, and they both have tooltips, then I could see a conflict. Otherwise, I have never had any issue, and don't in any way see what the Windows taskbar has to do with this.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

You don't need the app I'm using, it's affecting everything, system wide.
Doesn't matter what app it is. even when a skin is NOT overlapping it's window. Did you watch the video?
It shows that my text editor, SynWrite, is affected even though it's window is nowhere near a skin.

I can understand a problem if a skin is overlapping a window even by a single pixel, I suppose there's conflict of mouse operations each vying for attention? But that's what I'm trying to point out. Nothing is overlapping and the issue is system wide, ONLY when Rainmeter is running.

It affects every single app!

EDIT: Just checked my laptop and it's the same on there too! All tooltips are disabled in every app due to Rainmeter running.
- MuLab -
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Sorry, but I can in no way replicate this issue.

If I have this skin:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=255,0,0,90

[MeterOne]
Meter=Image
X=50
Y=50
W=100
H=200
SolidColor=0,255,0,255
ToolTipText=This is a tooltip
And set it to "Stay Topmost", I just don't see any problem.

I can put it half on the Windows taskbar, and have it overlap the CCLeaner (for example) application window, and as long as CCLeaner has "focus", all tooltips work fine. I do note that the tooltip for the skin goes "behind" the skin when it is Stay Topmost, but that doesn't surprise me. A tooltip in Rainmeter is not controlled by Rainmeter itself, but is a Windows "control" that will obey whatever rules Windows has for such. In this case the Stay Topmost is beating the tooltip. In general, I'm not a huge fan of "Stay Topmost" in Rainmeter. It's always going to be fighting with something...

GIF.gif

Now if I click on the Rainmeter skin, thus taking focus away from CCLeaner and giving it to the skin, then tooltips in CCLeaner don't work. They depend on it having focus. Not all applications depend on "focus" for tooltips to work, CCLeaner does...

Perhaps your skin is somehow stealing "focus", but I'm at a loss for how you would even do that in Rainmeter. There is no bang or command or setting that would cause a Rainmeter skin to get focus other than by actually clicking on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You can use this plugin/skin to see what has focus at any given time...

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=33146#p164704
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Well, when I disable my "Statbar" skin, as I've called it, the issue goes away.
That's why I suggested a possibility of it being something within it's code causing issues?

I'm not too sure about the taskbar thing, it may not be that. It may be something intermittent as it works on changing position of that skin, then next minute tooltips stop working.

Could there be too much code? Too many mouse operations in one skin? Some measure causing it? Combo of measures? Maybe something else? Perhaps combinations of skin code from different skins even?

I have a sidebar skin that has Drive space monitors. This same code is also in the statbar skin, though slightly cut down version. Could it be that using the same code in different skins is causing it?

I realise now that I had this issue with my last PC too. But tooltips on toolbar buttons aren't usually something I need, so it got ignored.
I can open any app and the problem persists throughout. Would you mind checking my skin code? It is long tho!

I think I jinxed myself when I said I never had a problem with Rainmeter in 7 years!!! :rofl:
- MuLab -
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sl23 wrote: August 24th, 2019, 1:20 pm Well, when I disable my "Statbar" skin, as I've called it, the issue goes away.
That's why I suggested a possibility of it being something within it's code causing issues?

I'm not too sure about the taskbar thing, it may not be that. It may be something intermittent as it works on changing position of that skin, then next minute tooltips stop working.

Could there be too much code? Too many mouse operations in one skin? Some measure causing it? Combo of measures? Maybe something else? Perhaps combinations of skin code from different skins even?

I have a sidebar skin that has Drive space monitors. This same code is also in the statbar skin, though slightly cut down version. Could it be that using the same code in different skins is causing it?

I realise now that I had this issue with my last PC too. But tooltips on toolbar buttons aren't usually something I need, so it got ignored.
I can open any app and the problem persists throughout. Would you mind checking my skin code? It is long tho!

I think I jinxed myself when I said I never had a problem with Rainmeter in 7 years!!! :rofl:

Sorry, no. I'm just not going to wade through tons of code or try to replicate your setup to see what is going on.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

That title monitor hasn't helped. It shows that MuLab, or whatever window is active and in focus, but still no tooltips.

I appreciate your position on this. But it has to be something I'm doing that others aren't. I'm just trying to figure out what that could be.
Btw, the skin is only a single INI file not some massive suite.

Any other ideas?
- MuLab -
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sl23 wrote: August 24th, 2019, 1:34 pm That title monitor hasn't helped. It shows that MuLab, or whatever window is active and in focus, but still no tooltips.

I appreciate your position on this. But it has to be something I'm doing that others aren't. I'm just trying to figure out what that could be.
Btw, the skin is only a single INI file not some massive suite.

Any other ideas?

Really I don't... I can't picture anything about Rainmeter that would cause any unrelated applications to behave differently in any way.