It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:06 pm

Help required, "Rainmeter.ini is not writable"

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
meyer1324

Re: Help required, "Rainmeter.ini is not writable"

Post by meyer1324 »

ok, I ran the uninstaller and I was able to delete every folder except for the rainmeter folder in appdata. It said i needed to give myself permission...so I did, but apparently my permission isn't good enough. I looked at the properties for that folder and under security, "home users" have no access. I changed the access for them, but it told me i do not have the authorization for that.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

meyer1324 wrote:ok, I ran the uninstaller and I was able to delete every folder except for the rainmeter folder in appdata. It said i needed to give myself permission...so I did, but apparently my permission isn't good enough. I looked at the properties for that folder and under security, "home users" have no access. I changed the access for them, but it told me i do not have the authorization for that.
Well, this is the core of the problem. I'll have to chew on that a bit.

What specific version of Windows? Home Basic, etc?
meyer1324

Post by meyer1324 »

Windows 7 Home Premium, version 6.1 Build (7600)
meyer1324

Post by meyer1324 »

OK, this is weird. I was just able to delete those folders in users/appdata with no trouble whatsoever. I this this is related to the fact that I would usually receive the initial rainmeter error message after a few minutes of operation and not after a fresh reboot. Something is happening while rainmeter is running that is changing the security settings. Regardless, going to try the clean install now.
meyer1324

Post by meyer1324 »

Install went great. I was able to edit and save for a little while. I made to quick thems and was able to switch between them, but then I ran into the same error. I think I've noticed that it is coinciding with the autosave that appears in rain themes. Any idea if these could be related?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

meyer1324 wrote:Install went great. I was able to edit and save for a little while. I made to quick thems and was able to switch between them, but then I ran into the same error. I think I've noticed that it is coinciding with the autosave that appears in rain themes. Any idea if these could be related?
I don't think so... This is very strange. I doubt that Rainmeter is doing anything that is "changing" any security settings or folder / file permissions. There HAS to be something about your account or your UAC setting that is giving us fits.

Can you go to the start menu, type "User Account Settings" and run "Change User Account Control Settings" and either screen capture and attach here or at least tell me what your setting is currently at? My setting is currently "Going Commando" ;-)
6-25-2010 10-17-15 AM.jpg
meyer1324

Post by meyer1324 »

I don't know how to insert the screen shot. It is on the third highest out of four settings. It is set to notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer.
meyer1324

Post by meyer1324 »

Ok, so I did a clean install of windows 7. I tried a fresh install of rainmeter and I still have the same problem. I did notice that after rainmeter had been running a bit and after I saved and modified a couple themes, the "default" user account has been activated. Not sure if this is part of the problem, but it definitely wasn't there before rainmeter.
Problem.PNG
Who is the owner?
Can you tell me anything about who else could be the owner on "C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter" ? When I try to open it, I get an error message that says "access is denied".

Also, would I have better luck if I did not select the option to have rainmeter available to all users during the install?
meyer1324

Post by meyer1324 »

So I restarted my computer to get a look at this folder before it locks me out. I can get in just fine. Here is what the security permissions initially look like:
Problem- before loss of ownership.PNG
Here's what rainmeter.ini looks like before it locks up
After I load and modify anything from rainthemes, I get the "cannot write" error message and ownership rights have been changed. What can I do to prevent this?
MrRiley

Post by MrRiley »

Has anyone figured this problem out yet?
I've been having the same issues. I was getting it as soon as the autosave was created. I did a clean install. For some reason the rainmeter folder in appdata is read only. I changed that before doing anything that would create the autosave. I thought that fixed it. Unfortunately it worked just long enough for me to waste an hour setting up my theme. I started with the enigma preview. When I went to load the enigma theme instead, it gave me the error again. Now rainmeter won't load a theme. Just gives me the error again. At that point; I can load individual configs, but not themes. Of course it doesn't save any thing tho, so I'm back to the start when I reboot or just re-start rainmeter.
The rainmeter folder in Appdata is marked read only again, and neither it or the .ini file will let me change that. UAC on or off doesn't seem to change this.

Vista Home Premium
32 bit

Thanks in advance.