It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:04 pm

Website was down yesterday and Rainmeter kept crashing

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
AdmiralCrom

Website was down yesterday and Rainmeter kept crashing

Post by AdmiralCrom »

This is just to inform anyone that uses the program if the website goes down for any reason the program will crash till its back up. I believe its due to the routine to check for an update. If cannot complete this task it shuts down the program.

Other than that Rainmeter is GREAT !!!..

I have turned off automatic updates in hope that it bypasses this routine next time the website (or route to website is down).

I will reply to my post with updates if this is a workaround for the crashing.

AdmiralCrom
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Website was down yesterday and Rainmeter kept crashing

Post by SilverAzide »

According to this site, Rainmeter has not been down for at least a week. The update issue does not appear to be related to whether or not the site is up; it's an issue that I've been having for a long time. The only work-around for now is to turn off the automatic update check. The developers are aware of this and are looking into it, there are several other threads on this subject.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Just FYI, Rainmeter is not checking on rainmeter.net for the update status. It is checking at our project repository on github.com.

We are indeed looking into this issue that several have reported that Rainmeter can crash if the local system's internet access is not fully working when Rainmeter is started. While rare, and none of us can replicate the problem so far, it is clearly a thing. Stay tuned... In the meantime, do turn off Check for updates in Settings in Rainmeter if you are running into this issue.

This can be done by editing C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini, and adding or changing the value of DisableVersionCheck=0 to DisableVersionCheck=1 in the [Rainmeter] section.

Edit by Brian: Please see the next post.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Please follow the instructions on the following post and please report back there:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=146415#p146415

-Brian