It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:38 pm

HELP! I can't figure any of this out at all!

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
klgrube

HELP! I can't figure any of this out at all!

Post by klgrube »

HELP!

All I want is a decent size digital clock, a 30-day monthly calendar that scrolls between months, my local weather, and a small note pad on my desktop. I had all of that with Gadgets, but they're discontinued.

Just point me to a place where I can find all this stuff and put it up on my desktop. This shouldn't be that hard!!! :17angry :17angry

I've installed Rainmeter, but most of the so-called skins I've found either won't load or are just zips with no rainmeter file. I have no clue what to do and frankly, I'm getting really frustrated and angry about it.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: HELP! I can't figure any of this out at all!

Post by balala »

klgrube wrote:All I want is a decent size digital clock, a 30-day monthly calendar that scrolls between months, my local weather, and a small note pad on my desktop.
Sorry, I promote (again) one of my works: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=124162#p124162
The only missing thing is the "small note", which this package doesn't have. If you can miss it, give a try to the above suite.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

klgrube wrote:HELP!

All I want is a decent size digital clock, a 30-day monthly calendar that scrolls between months, my local weather, and a small note pad on my desktop. I had all of that with Gadgets, but they're discontinued.

Just point me to a place where I can find all this stuff and put it up on my desktop. This shouldn't be that hard!!! :17angry :17angry

I've installed Rainmeter, but most of the so-called skins I've found either won't load or are just zips with no rainmeter file. I have no clue what to do and frankly, I'm getting really frustrated and angry about it.
If you like old-style Gadgets, did you look here: http://fav.me/d8n4kvx ?
klgrube

Post by klgrube »

The gadgets link looked promising. It shows a clock, but there actually isn't one.

Look, I realize people spend time creating really gorgeous rainmeter skins, but that honestly isn't what I need or want. I desperately need a simple digital clock (AM PM with the date below), a very simple but large 30-day calendar, a nice-looking weather gadget, and a note pad. it would be nice to also have a clipper for clipboard notes. But the key here is SIMPLE!!!! Solid white on black or a background color. Nothing fancy.

I apologize if I seem a bit grouchy. It's just that I am somewhat visually impaired, so the ability to see information quickly and easily in a font and size that I can actually read is very important to me.

Is there a really simple set of skins?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

klgrube wrote:Is there a really simple set of skins?
If you can't find everything you need by one, try to look for each needed skin, one by one. Probably will be much simpler to find one clock, then one separate calendar and so on.
klgrube

Post by klgrube »

I did find one thing, but I don't know how to turn it into a Rainmeter skin, It's a zip with a bunch of files. Any suggestions? Can you tell me how to do that?

https://rainmeter.deviantart.com/art/Alli-Afresh-1-0-356296409
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

klgrube wrote:The gadgets link looked promising. It shows a clock, but there actually isn't one.

Look, I realize people spend time creating really gorgeous rainmeter skins, but that honestly isn't what I need or want. I desperately need a simple digital clock (AM PM with the date below), a very simple but large 30-day calendar, a nice-looking weather gadget, and a note pad. it would be nice to also have a clipper for clipboard notes. But the key here is SIMPLE!!!! Solid white on black or a background color. Nothing fancy.

I apologize if I seem a bit grouchy. It's just that I am somewhat visually impaired, so the ability to see information quickly and easily in a font and size that I can actually read is very important to me.

Is there a really simple set of skins?
I have been using Elementary 3.0 by flyinghyrax, and find it very easy on my old eyes! :D
It includes a very well documented ReaMe help page so you should be able to easily customize the skin settings.

It does have a large notepad skin, and easy to read weather, date and time. It includes several smaller system monitoring skins, but you said you were not interested in those.

It does not have a 30-day calendar, however if you are on Windows 10, you can create a link to launch M$ calendar app.
Add this line to the [Rainmeter] section of the 'Elementary\Date\date-wdm.ini' and 'Elementary\Date\date-wmd.ini' to launch Windows 10's calendar app:

Code: Select all

LeftMouseUpAction=[shell:Appsfolder\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!microsoft.windowslive.calendar]
Hope this helps. :welcome:

P.S. I have modified my version to allow scaling using the mouse; if you are interested, send me a private message and I can send you a copy of my modified package. :sly:
klgrube

Post by klgrube »

WOW! Really nice! Still working on this for now . . .
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Yes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so you will need to find what you like. :17nodding

Find a suite or a few skins that are close to what you want and many forum members would be willing to help you customize them. :welcome:
klgrube

Post by klgrube »

Well I finally finished. This was really terribly awkward and difficult. I had to do so much searching around and customization just to get something this plain and simple. Gosh! I hope there's a way this process can be made easier.
2018-05-21 21_59_14-Window.png
Thank you for all of your help and encouragement.