It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:35 pm

Crash Crash Crash????

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Crash Crash Crash????

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote:The update checking is actually not new at all, but has been there for a very long time with no issue at all. We are chewing on this, to see if there has been some change in Windows, or something else that is eluding us. Suddenly this is a rare but real issue, and I have no idea why.
First, congratulations on your 17,000th post! ;)
Second, I don't know if this additional tidbit of info will help your investigation, but I've had this crashing issue for a very long time... on my work PC. At home I never had this issue. Not sure if it is a different network stack, different AV software, or maybe the fact I was going through a proxy, or whatever. I wish I could remember which version of Rainmeter I first noticed it, it might even be the 3.x versions...
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

jsmorley wrote:The update checking is actually not new at all, but has been there for a very long time with no issue at all. We are chewing on this, to see if there has been some change in Windows, or something else that is eluding us. Suddenly this is a rare but real issue, and I have no idea why.
Yes, I should have phrased that differently :oops:

I have never had an issue, but I normally disable automatic updates on any software (I prefer to update when I want to :D )

I hope you discover what has changed :17readbook
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

This is a pretty difficult to combat since none of the developers can replicate the issue.

Having said that, I have created a special build that does some extra error checking and more logging. For those affected by the update checking crash, please follow the directions below and report back your findings. Thank you.
  1. The first step is to turn on Logging and Debug mode. There are 3 ways to do this.
    1. Manage: Open the Manage dialog, select the Settings tab. Check both Debug mode and Log to file.
      Debug - A.png
    2. Context menu: Right click on the Rainmeter tray icon. Under the "Logging" sub-menu, select Debug mode and Start logging (it will be greyed out if already in logging mode).
    3. Manually: If Rainmeter crashes before you can get to the Manage dialog, you can manually edit the Rainmeter.ini file (usually located in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\) folder. Under the [Rainmeter] section, add the following keys:

Code: Select all

Logging=1
      Debug=1
      Note: It is probably a good idea to manually unload all skins. To do this for each config, change all Active options to 0, so it looks like Active=0. Each config will have an Active option, so make sure you change all of them.
  2. Make sure you are checking for updates.
    1. Manage: Make sure the Check for updates is checked.
      Debug - B.png
    2. Manually: If you can't open Rainmeter follow step 1c from above, and add the following to the [Rainmeter] section: DisableVersionCheck=0
  3. Download and install the special version of Rainmeter. You can download it here:
    https://builds.rainmeter.net/Rainmeter-4.2-r3035-beta-special.exe
  4. Please report back your findings.
    1. Please let us know if Rainmeter is still crashing or not.
    2. Please post the relevant parts of the log (even if Rainmeter is not crashing anymore). To open the log, navigate to the %Appdata%\Rainmeter folder (usually it is located in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\). Open the log and look for an entry called "Checking for updates..." (it will be toward the bottom if you unloaded your skins). Copy all contents of your log after that entry and paste them here between Code tags. (Note: Debug mode will log a ton of things, I don't need anything before the "Checking for updates..." message.

Here is what mine looks like:

Code: Select all

NOTE (23:47:44.489) : Checking for updates...
      NOTE (23:47:44.832) : Update status file downloaded successfully
      NOTE (23:47:44.863) : Update status file parsed successfully
      NOTE (23:47:44.885) : Update status file version: 4.1.0
      NOTE (23:47:44.904) : Checking language status...
      NOTE (23:47:44.920) : Language id found: 1033
      NOTE (23:47:44.935) : Language (1033) status: false (up to date)
      Note: Don't worry if your language status says "true (out of date)".
Thank you!

-Brian
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:Having said that, I have created a special build that does some extra error checking and more logging. For those affected by the update checking crash, please follow the directions below and report back your findings. Thank you.
Anyone? It's been over a month...

-Brian