It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:54 pm

Crash Crash Crash????

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
livinglegacy

Crash Crash Crash????

Post by livinglegacy »

So all of a sudden my Rainmeter crashes. I haven't downloaded any new skins.

It became too frustrating so I deleted all my Rainmeter data. I read how a skin may be causing the crash. But I uninstalled Rainmeter and started with a clean slate.

However, when I reinstall, the default skin loads and everything appears to be fine. Then, no matter what skin I download. When I upload a new skin, the program crashes immediately and does not work at all, even after I delete the skin I had just downloaded. The only way to get it working again is to un/reinstall rainmeter.

What do I do? Am I doing soemthing wrong? Why did it crash all of a sudden out of no where?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Crash Crash Crash????

Post by eclectic-tech »

It would help to know something about Rainmeter and your setup.
Open the !About dialog and copy the information from the 'Version' tab here.

If the default skins are loading, Rainmeter is basically working.

What skin are you loading that crashed Rainmeter; a link to it would help. You need to find out which specific skin is causing the crash, then someone might be able to help you troubleshoot the issue.

To get Rainmeter working after a crash, open Windows Explorer to any folder, say "My PC" for instance, and just paste or type:

%APPDATA%\Rainmeter In the path field at the top.

That will take you directly to Rainmeter app folder, even if you have it set to "hidden" in Windows.
Then you can delete Rainmeter.ini file and Rainmeter will start with the default skins again. (@jsmorley)
th3l0st

Post by th3l0st »

hey there!
I got the same issue.. My rainmeter does work only with the default skin. When I'm adding any other skin it crashes immediately!
First I thought it would be a bug of the beta Build. 4.2 . I uninstalled it and installed 4.1 but the problem is still the same.
I guess the last windows update did something with it?
My setup : Win 10 Pro Version 1709; Build 16299.309
CPU Amd fx 8150
8gb ram
960 Gtx
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

th3l0st wrote:I guess the last windows update did something with it?
My setup : Win 10 Pro Version 1709; Build 16299.309
I don't think, because I'm using exactly the same Windows version and have no such problems at all.
th3l0st

Post by th3l0st »

Uff okay. I can't figure it out.. reinstalled it with each versions but if I add any skin it crashes.. Would it help if I delete all registry enrties?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

th3l0st wrote:Uff okay. I can't figure it out.. reinstalled it with each versions but if I add any skin it crashes.. Would it help if I delete all registry enrties?
I would first make sure you have disabled 'Check for updates' in the Settings.
disablecheckupdate.png
If you still experience crashes, after the crash you will need to delete 'rainmeter.ini' from '%appdata%\rainmeter' so the default illustro skins load on re-start.

Then load other skins one-at-a-time until the crash happens. Repeat the step above to restore the default illustro skins. Then edit the last skin you loaded that crashed rainmeter to try to determine what caused the crash.

Once you know what skin is crashing, you can ask here for help in finding a cure. :welcome:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

th3l0st wrote:Uff okay. I can't figure it out.. reinstalled it with each versions but if I add any skin it crashes.. Would it help if I delete all registry enrties?
Try following this: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=145362#p145362
th3l0st

Post by th3l0st »

eclectic-tech wrote:I would first make sure you have disabled 'Check for updates' in the Settings.
Wow this helped and my skins are working now fine ! I can't believe that setting would do the trouble :O
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

th3l0st wrote:Wow this helped and my skins are working now fine ! I can't believe that setting would do the trouble :O
That is a recent addition to Rainmeter features, but in some system configurations, it has can be problematic.

Glad to help. :welcome:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

eclectic-tech wrote:That is a recent addition to Rainmeter features, but in some system configurations, it has can be problematic.

Glad to help. :welcome:
The update checking is actually not new at all, but has been there for a very long time with no issue at all. We are chewing on this, to see if there has been some change in Windows, or something else that is eluding us. Suddenly this is a rare but real issue, and I have no idea why.