It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:32 pm

Rainmeter is crashing! What do I do?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
yungsnek

Re: Rainmeter is crashing! What do I do?

Post by yungsnek »

Hello, I have such a problem that after installation, the application started for a second and then instantly disappeared. Tried deleting rainmeter.ini and clean removal of the application itself. In YouTube, to solve this, they suggest setting up the NVIDIA control panel, but I have a Radeon video card.
Please HELP! :-(
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

yungsnek wrote: November 2nd, 2022, 8:00 pm Hello, I have such a problem that after installation, the application started for a second and then instantly disappeared. Tried deleting rainmeter.ini and clean removal of the application itself. In YouTube, to solve this, they suggest setting up the NVIDIA control panel, but I have a Radeon video card.
Please HELP! :-(
Assuming you followed all the instructions in the first post, re-install Rainmeter if needed.
Next, navigate to your C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter folder and open the Rainmeter.ini file with Notepad. At the top section, ensure the hardware acceleration option is set to zero, like so: HardwareAcceleration=0. Next, launch Rainmeter. If it works, then the problem is your video card driver. Update your drivers and try again with the hardware acceleration option set to 1.
yungsnek

Post by yungsnek »

SilverAzide wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:37 am Assuming you followed all the instructions in the first post, re-install Rainmeter if needed.
Next, navigate to your C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter folder and open the Rainmeter.ini file with Notepad. At the top section, ensure the hardware acceleration option is set to zero, like so: HardwareAcceleration=0. Next, launch Rainmeter. If it works, then the problem is your video card driver. Update your drivers and try again with the hardware acceleration option set to 1.
I already updated the video card drivers and tried to run it, but nothing happened again. I don't know, maybe the video card is not compatible. I also tried setting HardwareAcceleration=0
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

yungsnek wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 2:30 pm I already updated the video card drivers and tried to run it, but nothing happened again. I don't know, maybe the video card is not compatible. I also tried setting HardwareAcceleration=0
Unfortunately, there's not much anyone can do to help without more information than "it's crashing". Something is odd with your PC. You'd need to create a dump file and provide it to the devs for them to debug.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

A dump file can sometimes help, but I would try to manually set Debug mode and Logging in the Rainmeter settings file.

Steps:
  1. Open Rainmeter.ini in your text editor.
  2. In the [Rainmeter] section, add the following options (or if they already exist, change them to):

Code: Select all

Logging=1
    Debug=1

3. Save Rainmeter.ini
  4. Start Rainmeter, and once Rainmeter crashes/exits, open the Rainmeter.log file and post the contents here.
    Note: The Rainmeter.log file should be located in the same folder as the Rainmeter.ini settings file.
-Brian
david16s

Post by david16s »

Update Rainmeter to the latest version.
Remove incompatible skins or plugins.
Reinstall Rainmeter after backing up settings.
Infartin

Post by Infartin »

jsmorley wrote: February 27th, 2018, 7:31 pm If Rainmeter crashes, the steps to take are:

1) Goto %APPDATA%\Rainmeter and rename Rainmeter.ini to Rainmeter.ini.bak
(C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter)

2) Restart Rainmeter. The default illustro skins should load and all will be well.

This will correct the problem probably 90% of the time. The problem is with a skin or a 3rd-party plugin a skin is using, and you will need to add back in the skins you were running until you find the one that crashes it.

If not...

3) Entirely delete the following folders:
-- C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter
-- C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter
-- C:\Program Files\Rainmeter
4) Download the latest release or beta (recommended) of Rainmeter from https://www.rainmeter.net.

5) Install Rainmeter. The default illustro skins should load and all will be well.

If not...

Now we know the problem is certainly not with a skin or a 3rd-party plugin. We have to dig a bit deeper.

6) Repeat step 3 above.
7) Run scans using both your antivirus software and MalwareBytes AntiMalware. Let them clean up any problems.
8) Repeat step 4 above.
9) Install Rainmeter. The default illustro skins should load and all will be well.

If not...

10) Repeat steps 3 and 4 above.
11) Download and install the latest version of the drivers for your graphics card.
12) Install Rainmeter. The default illustro skins should load and all will be well.

If not...

13) Repeat steps 3 and 4 above.
14) Open a cmd.exe command prompt window, running it "As administrator"

In that window, execute the following in turn:

sfc /scannow
This will take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour to run. If it finds and fixes any problems with system files, you MUST run it again, and keep doing so until it runs and reports that no problems were found. If it finds and corrects any issues, reboot your PC after. This is hideously time consuming, but the health of your PC is more important that anything to do with Rainmeter itself.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
This will take a few minutes to run. If it finds and corrects any issues, reboot your PC after.

15) Install Rainmeter. The default illustro skins should load and all will be well.

That's about it. These are the steps I would take, which are just about everything logical you can do short of a complete repair or re-install of Windows itself. Unless you really do have actual hardware that is not compatible with the Rainmeter application and the default illustro skins, which to be honest I have just NEVER seen, one of these steps will solve the problem.

Note: Feel free to make a backup copy of your ..Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder if you have skins you want to keep, and a backup copy of %APPDATA%\Rainmeter\Plugins if you have 3rd-party plugins you want to keep, but do be aware that it is about 90% likely that it is one of those that is the problem to start with, and you will want to put them back one at a time and ensure all is still well as you go.
Please help, I have already completed all the steps several times. The application crashes within a second every time it is turned on.
Tell me how to solve this?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Infartin wrote: November 17th, 2023, 8:59 pm Please help, I have already completed all the steps several times. The application crashes within a second every time it is turned on.
Tell me how to solve this?
Tell us about your installation by opening the Rainmeter Log, selecting the 'Version' tab, and clicking 'Copy to clipboard'... then paste that info into a reply post here.
aboutversion.png
Infartin

Post by Infartin »

eclectic-tech wrote: November 18th, 2023, 1:13 am Tell us about your installation by opening the Rainmeter Log, selecting the 'Version' tab, and clicking 'Copy to clipboard'... then paste that info into a reply post here.aboutversion.png
I would love to, but as soon as the application opens it immediately turns off
https://dropmefiles.net/ru/ya2ePGYf
Скачать

All antiviruses are turned off, the defender too, I turned off the utilities on the computer.

When I install the normal one on C, an error occurs, so I install the normal boot on the D drive.
I can install a portable one anywhere, but it doesn’t change the essence; it always opens the same way for a second and then crashes

This is some kind of defeat(
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Infartin wrote: November 18th, 2023, 8:43 am I would love to, but as soon as the application opens it immediately turns off
https://dropmefiles.net/ru/ya2ePGYf
Скачать

All antiviruses are turned off, the defender too, I turned off the utilities on the computer.

When I install the normal one on C, an error occurs, so I install the normal boot on the D drive.
I can install a portable one anywhere, but it doesn’t change the essence; it always opens the same way for a second and then crashes

This is some kind of defeat(
Sorry, but you almost certainly did not complete the troubleshooting steps layed out above (or you captured the video at an entirely different time), because according to your own video, you still have a "settings" skin loaded (or at least, trying to load) when Rainmeter is crashing...

The whole point of those steps is to first start with no skins loaded and see if the problem is more serious than a malfunctioning skin (which, as said, is 90% of the time the cause of the crash). Until we can see that clean Rainmeter (with or without the default Illustro skins that are loaded after installation) is crashing, the verdict is going to be that the culprit is one of the skins that still load when Rainmeter starts. :confused:

Also, what error do you get when installing normally on the C drive? You shouldn't have to install Rainmeter on your D drive for it to work, that should happen on C as well assuming you do have a typical user account on your Windows system with the typical folder permissions and such.