It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:47 pm

Sliding Progress Bar

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Doodle

Sliding Progress Bar

Post by Doodle »

I would like to have a progress bar that I can slide to move a song forward or back and I have found a general style that I like https://rainmeter.deviantart.com/art/Proximity-727765286 however I do now know how to remove the extra features surrounding it, i.e. the visualizer, song information, and pause, play, skip, go back buttons. I primarily use spotify and this skin wasn't initially working with it, I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but at any rate, i really only want a slider bar.

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Sliding Progress Bar

Post by balala »

Doodle wrote:I primarily use spotify and this skin wasn't initially working with it, I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but at any rate, i really only want a slider bar.
Although I'm not using Spotify (so, I can't test), I'd say probably you don't have installed the Spotify plugin. If you want to use the skin with Spotify, it uses this plugin (which isn't included in Rainmeter, as the NowPlaying is), however it isn't included into the installation package of the skin. So, you have to install it. To do this, first go here: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=94631#p94631. Download the SpotifyPlugin_1.9.3.0.rmskin file and install it. The correct version of the plugin will be installed to your computer, along with the skin, and you'll be able to use it. You can take a look at the newly installed skin, too, but if you don't need it, you can simply remove it. The plugin remains and you can use it.
If you did all this, try out again your skin. It should work now properly (I hope). Does it?
Doodle wrote:however I do now know how to remove the extra features surrounding it, i.e. the visualizer, song information, and pause, play, skip, go back buttons.
If the skin started to work, but you still want to remove the visualizer, right click the loaded skin, then click Settings in the context menu. The Variables.inc file opens in your default text editor. Replace the value of the Vis variable with 0 (Vis=0). Refresh the skin. This hides the visualizer AND increases the Update value of the main skin, which is a good thing, because without the visualizer, there is no need of a too small update value.
On the other side, if you never will want to use the visualizer, it'd be a good idea to remove (comment out) the @Include1=#@#Visualizer/Vis.inc and the @Include2=#@#Visualizer/VisMeasures.inc options from the skin's code.
To remove the song information, add a Hidden=1 option to the [ArtistDisplay] and [TrackDisplay] meters of the skin. Again, if you think you will never want to put back these information, you can completely remove these sections.
And finally, to remove the buttons, add the same Hidden=1 option to the [PrevShape], [PlayShape], [PauseShape] and [NextShape] meters (or again, remove them completely).
Besides all this, without entering too deeply in the code, I'd say you could use the default Update=1000, instead of the initial formula, used in the skin (which initial formula sets the update to 30 or 60 millisecond, depending on the visibility of the visualizer). Replace the Update=(#Vis#=1 ? 30:60) option of the [Rainmeter] section, with Update=1000.
Doodle

Post by Doodle »

Hi, thanks for the quick and in-depth response, everything you noted is exactly what I wanted, however after having installed the spotify plugin, the skin still does not work with the song that is playing. Other than that, everything else you said makes perfect sense, though I have one more question that I don't quite understand. When I try to drag the progress bar skin to where I want it to be located, it snaps back down lower on the screen. The spot I'm trying to place it is near the top left of the screen so every time I get close to the edge and release it, it automatically places itself much lower. Do you happen to know why this could be happening, I've also had this happen with other skins as well. Thank you.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Open the "Manage skin" with right mouse click and look at "Keep on screen", if it's checked, uncheck it and try to move the skin again.
Doodle

Post by Doodle »

That's what I thought as well, unfortunately even without that it still gets placed lower.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Doodle wrote:That's what I thought as well, unfortunately even without that it still gets placed lower.
Windows does not want anything positioned off the top of the screen. If you can eliminate any empty "slack space" at the top of your skin, so it fits at the top of the screen without any of it being off, it should be ok.
Doodle

Post by Doodle »

Do you think you could help me with how to do that, I've only recently started messing around with rainmeter and have little to no knowledge on anything regarding code inside the skins. I wouldn't know where to look or how to change the size.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Doodle wrote:Do you think you could help me with how to do that, I've only recently started messing around with rainmeter and have little to no knowledge on anything regarding code inside the skins. I wouldn't know where to look or how to change the size.
Zip up your skin and attach it to a reply here, and I can take a look. I don't use Spotify, so I can help with anything about that, but can look at this positioning issue.
Doodle

Post by Doodle »

Thanks for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I can't really do much with that. First, I need a .zip that has the entire skin folder. I need the .inc include files and any other resources the skin uses. Second, I don't know what the plugin MagickMeter is, or where to get it.