It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:35 pm

High CPU usage on screen off

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
DaLanik

High CPU usage on screen off

Post by DaLanik »

Hello everyone,

I have been using Rainmeter for a couple of months, learned a bit on skinning and modified a skin to my tastes. Everything works as it should, but I have one strange problem; I have noticed high (100%) CPU usage when the screen turns off on idle. I can see this in Rainmeter CPU monitor itself and confirmed that it is the RainMeter with Windows Performance Monitor (perfmon). Using Windows 10 1709 on i7 7500U CPU so there should be enough CPU power not to max it. With normal usage (when not locked/screen off) it uses like 5-15% CPU.

Any clues? Did the same thing with stable and does the same thing in latest beta.

It is visible best in this graph from perfmon - the CPU usage drops once I unlock the ultrabook:

Thanx
D.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: High CPU usage on screen off

Post by eclectic-tech »

If you are using a full-screen lock screen, and it is animated or resized in any way, it could easily take a lot of CPU cycles. :)

What skin(s) are you using?
DaLanik

Post by DaLanik »

It is a standard Windows 10 lock screen, nothing special.

I am using modified "SK Neon Meters" that show CPU, Network in/out, memory used, disk space, wifi signal...

here is screenshot:

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

DaLanik wrote:It is a standard Windows 10 lock screen, nothing special.
Strange, because I think the standard Windows 10 lock screen has nothing to do with Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Rainmeter will continue to execute while your screen in locked in Windows 10, but I fail to see how that would impact CPU usage in any way.
DaLanik

Post by DaLanik »

Well, exactly :)

For the time being I solved it by using EventGhost to kill rainmeter on screen lock event and run it on screen unlock....