It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:23 pm

Help! Rainmeter suddenly stopped working

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
ufo_driver

Help! Rainmeter suddenly stopped working

Post by ufo_driver »

Hi! I've been constantly using Rainmeter for about 6 months and everything was okay, then today out of the blue Windows showed me the message that Rainmeter had stopped working.

I've deleted all skins and custom settings and re-installed the program. The Illustro skin works alright, but anytime I try to install any other skin it crashes again :(. And I have to delete everything and re-install Rainmeter to get at least Illustro skin working.

I have no idea what could happen. I didn't modify Rainmeter in any way the day before. Could be something with my computer. Anyway, would be great to get some advice here :).

Thanks in advance!
CyberTheWorm

Re: Help! Rainmeter suddenly stopped working

Post by CyberTheWorm »

ufo_driver

Post by ufo_driver »

I double-checked the folders mentioned on the page - when I uninstall Rainmeter through "Add or Remove Programs" they are removed too. But the problem persists.

Also, turns out, that even the "clean" version (just illustro and no additional skins) only works until I reboot the system. Then it crashes on startup.

The problem clearly seems to be on my end, but all other programms work just fine. :/
ufo_driver

Post by ufo_driver »

Okay, after cleaning my system with a dozen of different programs and utilities, I've achieved the speed of operations that this computer hasn't had in years, but Rainmeter still crashes xD.

Finally, having run out of ideas, I've decied to install the previous version of Rainmeter (3.3).

And, surprise! It works like charm!
I've still got no idea what happened and why version 4.1 suddenly stopped working, but with 3.3. everything seems to be stable for now. :)

Thanks for the help! Have a nice day, everyone! :)
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

This is very strange... unless you're using Windows XP or Vista. :17what :17oops
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fonpaolo wrote:This is very strange... unless you're using Windows XP or Vista. :17what :17oops
Probably he's not using XP, because Rainmeter 4.1 can't be installed on that OS. But ufo_driver said he installed it, so, I think he is using a later OS.
ufo_driver

Post by ufo_driver »

fonpaolo wrote:This is very strange... unless you're using Windows XP or Vista. :17what :17oops
I use Win 7 and, like I said, the latest Rainmeter has been working just fine until it crashed a couple of days ago.
I couldn't figure out what happened. The only thing I can say is that according to Windows Reliability Monitor, the Fault Module was Rainmeter.dll . During my experiments I also tried installing the 4.2. beta - no luck.
This is all kinda weird, I know :/. But I'm just glad it's working now! :)
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Well, let's thank Microsoft and the last "wonderful" updates... :17angry

I have several problems with some programs starting from the last cumulative update, after a lot of tweaks I (almost) solved some issues (at least I can run some programs) but others are still to be solved and since I updated some of them, in the meantime, I was doubting if the problem was related to Windows or the program itself. :17what

Keep in mind that, if you're using version 3.3 and you installed skins using the latest added functions, some may give errors, some probably won't display anything and you will not be able to install new skins, created with the latest release.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Thanks jsmorley for the link. :D
...however I still use Win 7 Pro.
I used the Win 10 Pro partition only to update to FCU... and never booted again. :17denial